• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the Best Base Antenna?

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
I know that it's probably been asked before but I want to know just what is the Best Base Antenna to be used with a Galaxy DX 2547 Base Station and maybe a Linear if I need one? Or maybe I'll just use a Magnum S-9 with the RX-75 installed as a base. Either way I need to know what the Best Base Antenna would be for me to use on either of these two radios.

I live in between two mountains, there's one behind me along with a set of railroad tracks that you have to cross to get to the mountain and one in front of me is probably 250 feet away from with a 2 lane highway in front of it. So what would be my best options to get out and over these two great ole big obstacles?

Any and All Help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

For local there is nothing you can do to get over those mountains. For DX they'll make no difference.

In an ideal world you'd have a 200ft tower with four 5 ele or more yagis spaced at different heights where you can switch between them or combine them as required. You'd have a vertical on the house or nearby for local work.

Reactions: Shockwave
For local there is nothing you can do to get over those mountains. For DX they'll make no difference.

In an ideal world you'd have a 200ft tower with four 5 ele or more yagis spaced at different heights where you can switch between them or combine them as required. You'd have a vertical on the house or nearby for local work.
The only thing I can think of to add would be to setup a dipole and try NVIS with it, but I would not hold my breath.

Its certainly worth a try. Make a dipole up and put it up about 10ft or lower. Make up some wires the same length as the dipole and lay them on the ground below it as follows - ignore the twin lead part, just make it from single wire.

img_1224968365_15581_1376259394_mod_547_398.jpg

Reactions: ctvanover
The literature tells us NVIS doesn't happen on 11 meters, but I tried an experiment that had me thinking otherwise.

I ran two 102" whips in phase 108" apart. Each was mounted on a marine ratchet rail mount on 10' long 1.00" plumbing pipe. I'd experiment with the angle of the vertical whips until I got them almost horizontal.

The experiment continues.

I'm gonna dare to disagree with the statement that 'locally you're screwed'.
I doubt you'll ever be a major CB Celebrity on the immediate other side of the mountains, but a 1/4 wave GP erected as high as possible will give you the highest vertical TOA I can think of, and just might get you a little performance
...over the hills and far away...

Last edited:
Reactions: hotrod
If local talking is you objective. Just try your existing antenna at different height with a station on the other side of the hill. I live right next to the San Gabriel Mountains on the Mojave side and for me the "magic" height was right around 20' to get over the 6000' peaks. At 110' I never heard the next valley. To many variables to give an kind of answer other then trial and error.
Try a beam.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.