• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what is the best mike for the FT-897D

Thestonerguy

Apr 3, 2005
Texas
www.cbgazette.com
I've tried a few microphones, and figured I could save some $$$ by asking here. The first initial problem was on SSB with normal talking I was only putting out about 20-30watts. I did the resistor mod in the handmike that comes with it and it was a bit louder.

Next mike was the Yaesu MD200. Nice looking microphone but tonal quality was lacking.

Next Mike was a Heil (forgot the model, but it was a goldline series with two cartridges in it A/B (which by-the-way were connected backwards. Tonal quality better than the MD200.

I'd still like to have great, natural tone with an amplifier/compressor that gets me at least above 50 watts...

Any ideas?

Woody,It seems that you have already tried some great mics.
You might want to try a Heil PR-30 or PR-40 for rich studio sound. I use a Yaesu MD-100 and after doing some testing with mic EQ and carrier point on ft100d and turning mic tone on, in #2 position (on mic) i have found the right combo.
Have you made any adjustments to the radio for different audio quality? I'm not fimiliar with ft-897 but i'm sure it has same features as ft-100d,try some different setting on radio and i'm sure with the aboved mention mics (md-200 & heil) that you can achieve great audio.
73,Stu

novakor said:
Woody,It seems that you have already tried some great mics.
You might want to try a Heil PR-30 or PR-40 for rich studio sound. I use a Yaesu MD-100 and after doing some testing with mic EQ and carrier point on ft100d and turning mic tone on in #2 position (on mic) i have found the right combo.
Have you made any adjustments to the radio for different audio quality? I'm not fimiliar with ft-897 but i'm sure it has same features as ft-100d,try some different setting on radio and i'm sure with the aboved mention mics (md-200 & heil) that you can achieve great audio.
73,Stu

Hi Stu,

Yes, I've tried adjustments in the DSP Transmit audio which has helped somewhat as well. And I've never had any issues with other ham rigs, I got good audio and near 100watts with the hand microphone. I have an old microphone (exactly like the ICOM SM-10) with equalizer, compression level, etc. and may try it. Last option, sell the 897D and pull my 817ND out of the box..... Tnx fer the suggestions, Woody

AudioShockwav what type of mic do you use?Any suggestion for StonerGuy. I have great audio report using yaesu MD-100 mic paired up with ft100D. Woody what sort of adjustments have you tried? TX carrier point offset?,mic gain?,DSP mic EQ?. And what sort of setting do you have on the mic itself ?(MD200)
On the MD-100 (on the bottom) you have high emphasis switch,main filter switch and low cut switch.Woody let me know if you have same type of switchs on MD-200, so i can tell you what works for me.

novakor said:
AudioShockwav what type of mic do you use?Any suggestion for StonerGuy. I have great audio report using yaesu MD-100 mic paired up with ft100D. Woody what sort of adjustments have you tried? TX carrier point offset?,mic gain?,DSP mic EQ?. And what sort of setting do you have on the mic itself ?(MD200)
On the MD-100 (on the bottom) you have high emphasis switch,main filter switch and low cut switch.Woody let me know if you have same type of switchs on MD-200, so i can tell you what works for me.

Hey, sorry for not checking the pages lately.....just enjoying the "SKIP". I've varied the mic gain, tried processor on, and off, no apparent settings on the MD200 (surprising for such an expensive mic). It too has a switch on the bottom, but it's to switch between the rj45 and 8pin plugs.

Have done nothing with Tx carrier point offset, have trying and am currently using the DSP mic eq, and switched to my Heil goldline set to Wide (had someone on the other end giving me audio reports as changes were made. Oh...on the processor I lowered the setting too. That's about it.

Tnx fer da help!
Woody

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.