• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the SSB mobil CB these days.

Once you set the radio you should leave it. Eyes on the road.

Thank you...

Hence my thoughts on; "Menu driven" radios that require you to step thru layers as well as count the number of beeps per layer to arrive to the right bracket off of that sub- menu to achieve a flag setting just so you can attain a mode or control. WOOF...

FamousLastWordsreally.gif

I use to come through the Gorge all the time back when I was driving long haul.

Some of those curves are designed wrong. The road is beveled to the shoulder at a slight downward slope in some curves. It's exactly the opposite of how Nascar race tracks are designed in the high banked turns. I guess the highway engineers designed it that way for drainage, but it's awful for traction.

Keep it out of the ditches!

Had a CDL since 1997. First ever truck with an engine brake was barely two years ago.

The very first tired truck I was assigned was so low on power I climbed The Gorge at 18-mph. Coming down at 79,000-lbs wasn’t much faster. I earned the handle, “slowmover”. ‘Bout wore out the PTT button on that Turner 56 getting attention, “westbound, slow mover just ahead of you around the bend at the 47 yard stick”. And then the same around the next bend. And the next. And the next. And the next.

You woke me suddenly after one of those days, and I was likely to say, . . . .

Sigh, you bring up a good point that I don't like to beat this radio up over - but it is a problem on my end when I'm working during the day and have to wear eye protection as part of the job.

It's a good radio for what you get, but the "mirror face" is a little hard to take at times - the backlit brightness for the display can really "fade" and the mirror finish face comes into play in high - reflection incidental lighting you get in sunny days of driving on the road and you're wearing polarized sunglasses.

Using this in combination with the glasses too, can add a bit of a headache to seeing what is on the display when you need the glasses to protect yourself from the glare - out there - arriving to you along with all that sun.

It's a washout at times - you can't avoid it, but it also doesn't help when you need to use polarized glasses on top of using a radio with the LCD display type that uses a polarizing filter to develop contrast - tilt your head one way or another - you can lose the display.

Anyone whoms' owned a Midland 77-115 or a 77-120 knows that too. Even the newer President line of McKinleys, Andys', Jacksons - any with the backlit LED LCD display are all prone to the loss / fade / blackout when you put your radio on the dash and you are using polarized glasses - you have to tilt back n' forth to find or recover the display. That tiny print on the LCD front can wash out easily enough.

Polarized true prescription is simply impossible to beat. The whole shebang. You gave some astigmatism or need reading glasses? Get prescription. Pretty much everyone past forty.

DRIVE-WEAR
brand (now owned by Transitions) is so good it has to be used to be believed. The ad copy is not hyperbole.

My son (the military and now commercial pilot) says polarized eyewear simply not allowed in the cockpit. The GLASS cockpit. I’ve forgotten to ask him what he uses. RANDOLPH ENGINEERING or RAYBAN ought to know.

Not wearing such promotes early fatigue. Driving is almost all visual. And that’s burning 25% of available energy to do it. Don’t cheat on non-prescription or clip-ons. I’ve see the results. You need EVERYTHING working.

In the Peterbilt the radio is in the overhead console. Glare non-existent. But to look that far away isn’t a health-promoting idea. A menu-driven Mobile Radio is ridiculous.

I do understand that not everyone likes menu driven radios.
I am running one in my truck right now that is, I put it in, set it up the way I wanted and don't use the menu settings while mobile.
The few controls I do need are in the face of the radio.
Rf gain, volume,squelch, channel up/down scan, rit and mode is enough when driving for me.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?