• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the SSB mobil CB these days.

I like the paraplegic angle. He posted a pic of a 980 box on kitchen table. Not sure if the Blue Light Special was a good rue until the 980 got there....but we are happy common sense has prevailed. But we must keep diligently moving to get him that 203 and a D104M6B, so those guys "across town" think he's "right next door".

Another look.

Station 2.jpg

So the M6B is the mic for this radio?

Last edited:
I like the paraplegic angle. He posted a pic of a 980 box on kitchen table. Not sure if the Blue Light Special was a good rue until the 980 got there....but we are happy common sense has prevailed. But we must keep diligently moving to get him that 203 and a D104M6B, so those guys "across town" think he's "right next door".

The Blue Light Special was definitely a hiccup in the road. Glad it's gone.
This radio looks to be putting out 3 watts with good forward swing. Also love the screen color choices. Am very happy. (y)

Another look.

View attachment 34462

So the M6B is the mic for this radio?
Yup! Does make a difference. Only fault with them is ptt switch. Had to bend the end of little metal bar and reinstall several times in order to get it to key up right. It would sometimes not key, and second press would. I'm sure it's the switch, others have replaced the switch entirely.

I run my mic gain on 980 WOT....that's all way up, the gain on D104M6B at about 2~2-1/2. You get to see the difference on the bar graph and see it on reflective meter as well.

Reactions: Riverman
Yup! Does make a difference. Only fault with them is ptt switch. Had to bend the end of little metal bar and reinstall several times in order to get it to key up right. It would sometimes not key, and second press would. I'm sure it's the switch, others have replaced the switch entirely.

I run my mic gain on 980 WOT....that's all way up, the gain on D104M6B at about 2~2-1/2. You get to see the difference on the bar graph and see it on reflective meter as well.

My buddy ended up opening his mic & dripped a drop or two of mineral oil into the switch contacts.

My buddy ended up opening his mic & dripped a drop or two of mineral oil into the switch contacts.
I'll try that next go round. Have mineral oil and some silicone goo. But it's doing good. Have the McKinley hooked up now, running stock mic and sounds good thru monitor radio.

The D104M6B really gives the 980 a punch, have to move the monitor radio back a little further when key down, that's how I figured where to set mic gain.

Just talked to the locals for the first time. Nice guys. Got great radio reports.
Don't need the 203 to talk across town.
Might add a power mic later.
No separate CB antenna.
Using my Chameleon 10-80 meter vertical 4' off the ground. :D
SWR: 1.8 on Ch 1, 1.7 on Ch 20, and 1.6 on Ch 40. I'm good with those. (y)
Really liking this 980. :p

Over and out.

View attachment 34460
The stock mic on the 980 will really wake up if you open it up and remove the big black disk that blocks the sound. Running it as a base unit, it doesn't need the noise restriction. I was surprised when I took mine out, it almost has the audio level of a power mic. Sounds really clean too.

The stock mic on the 980 will really wake up if you open it up and remove the big black disk that blocks the sound. Running it as a base unit, it doesn't need the noise restriction. I was surprised when I took mine out, it almost has the audio level of a power mic. Sounds really clean too.
Friend of mine did that to his after I told him about your previous post on that. Sound better. It really sounds good when he fires his 100w amp up.

Had three of those professional foot draggers yesterday leaving Florida. Each set up by stop sign to road from truck stop with THEIR little sign hung out.

Etc.

D077467E-6DD9-4738-A31B-E9032AB512C1.jpeg

Future Proves Past. Project Looking Glass

Same table before lamp removed, fellas. When the R-Man gets the rest, the months-old photo is taken.

Reactions: Tokin and Riverman
I like a hint of echo, dunno why, but I like the talkback but I also like loud audio, so turning the mic gain up I get feedback until I turn off the talkback. depends no my mood I guess. Right now, I am trying to reach as far as I can (locals are at least 15 mi away) so I keep the TB off to give all the audio I can.
15 should not be a problem on ssb, I talk to a buddy every day he is 27 miles out, and we have big hills between us, we always have ok to excellent comms. Both of us have antennas 36 feet to the feed, mine a full wave loop, his a antron 99 with radials.

Reactions: Slowmover

Took it out. Big rubber thing with a tiny hole.
Even more forward swing now!
Will get a radio report tomorrow.
Thanks again. (y)

mic.jpg

Had three of those professional foot draggers yesterday leaving Florida. Each set up by stop sign to road from truck stop with THEIR little sign hung out.

Etc.

View attachment 34466

Future Proves Past. Project Looking Glass

Same table before lamp removed, fellas. When the R-Man gets the rest, the months-old photo is taken.

Slow,

You may need some sleep. Not sure what you are trying to get at.:sleep:

Were the lot lizards evacuating the truck stop?:eek:

Could you please translate that from delirious truckereeze to something I can comprehend. :confused:

Last edited:
I'll try that next go round. Have mineral oil and some silicone goo. But it's doing good. Have the McKinley hooked up now, running stock mic and sounds good thru monitor radio.

The D104M6B really gives the 980 a punch, have to move the monitor radio back a little further when key down, that's how I figured where to set mic gain.
My buddy tried wd40, some guy he was talking to said he did that to all his & they were perfect for the next year, lasted my buddy 3 months.. He just did the mineral oil the other day & now the only bad thing I get to hear from him is his talk back feeding back.
He did remove the rubber washer from his stock mic & sounded like he was in a plastic box... you might try different rubber washers with larger holes...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
My buddy tried wd40, some guy he was talking to said he did that to all his & they were perfect for the next year, lasted my buddy 3 months.. He just did the mineral oil the other day & now the only bad thing I get to hear from him is his talk back feeding back.
He did remove the rubber washer from his stock mic & sounded like he was in a plastic box... you might try different rubber washers with larger holes...
Took a small drill bit to the stock McKinley mic and did some good. Looks like some felt could come out and disc replaced. Might help with wind deflection.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated