• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What Is This Animal ???

jwhawg

Oct 2, 2009
Hi,

Could someone possibly tell me what Amplifier this is ??
I was told it is an Elkin, But I don't know. I can't find anything on it. It runs a small driver tube, cant see any numbers on it. And 4 807s. Really nice shape. I'd like to know all I can about it. Please Help !!:headbang
Thanks in advance!
JWhawg

Attachments

• tube amp 2.bmp
    732 KB · Views: 307
  • Noname.bmp
    742.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

Elkin 4 tube?
Seen that pic on fleahooha.

Elkin-6-tube.jpg

Hi,

Could someone possibly tell me what Amplifier this is ??
I was told it is an Elkin, But I don't know. I can't find anything on it. It runs a small driver tube, cant see any numbers on it. And 4 807s. Really nice shape. I'd like to know all I can about it. Please Help !!:headbang
Thanks in advance!
JWhawg

It looks like it was built yesterday and it has that "Elkin" looking cabinet.

I cannot see where the tuning control for the first stage is located but, it was designed for radios from the 4 watt era.

Expect about 500 watts out.

PS: If you wanna know more about it, take some more pics of the inside and if you can, take some voltage reading; then, I can probley give you better than guess-timats.

As Slam Dunck said it is an Elkin case. But Ray at Elkin did not make his cases. At one time they were made by a company in Texas. So there are quite a few Elkin look alikes out there. Most of the Elkins of that era wire link coupling and used 1625 tubes. Later they had 6QD6 then 12DQ6 and last the combination 12DQ6 driving 8908's.

If you could show some inside pics that would be helpfull as determining it's capabilities.

Thanks for the Replies !!

Here are a few pics of the inside. The small tube is a 6v6. The others are the 807's. There is a small pot right btween the 807 tubes, I would think that would be the adjustment to "equalize" the tubes?? Another large shaft sticking up from the deck. I think its a knob. Maybe to a capacitor or ?? for adjusting What ?? I'm not sure, I have not disassembled the case Bottom. It also has a KRP14DG 110vdc relay on the deck.

Hope this helps someone deturmine what this amp might be.
Thanks again!
Joe
jwhawg

Attachments

• old amp1.jpg
    old amp1.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 205
  • old amp2.jpg
    old amp2.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 198
  • old amp3.jpg
    old amp3.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 259
Thanks for the Replies !!

Here are a few pics of the inside. The small tube is a 6v6. The others are the 807's. There is a small pot right btween the 807 tubes, I would think that would be the adjustment to "equalize" the tubes?? Another large shaft sticking up from the deck. I think its a knob. Maybe to a capacitor or ?? for adjusting What ?? I'm not sure, I have not disassembled the case Bottom. It also has a KRP14DG 110vdc relay on the deck.

Hope this helps someone deturmine what this amp might be.
Thanks again!
Joe
jwhawg

1325d1254782033-what-animal-old-amp3.jpg

To the left of the transformer on the deck, there is a choke; this is the B+ (Plate choke). There is a wire running west from the choke to some point and then it goes vertical to supply B+ to the tubes (Where the parasitic suppressors are all tied together).

The Tank Coil is between the two porcelain insulators and is tuned via the variable capacitors under the deck.

The 6v6 is part of the keying circuit used to close the 110 vdc relay.

I take back what I said about it being built to be driven by a 4 watt radio; it is a single stage amplifier and it will accept high drive.

The power transformer looks kinda small so, adjust the expectations for hi power accordingly.

Thanks Slam Dunk, Radio Tech, 357,

I also thought the transformer looked a little wimpy. Any possibilities in modifying it with a larger one for higher power? If so, what would be voltage ratings. I'm sure some voltage outputs need to stay as they are ?? Or might it be more trouble than its worth?
Thanks for all of your input,
Joe
jwhawg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.