• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is/was your favorite dual-band HT??

What HT do you like?

Hi everyone, I have used several HT's in the last few years. Including a FT50, ThF6A, both I have sold for various things I did not like about them.
The FT50 started not always taking a charge when plugged into the charger.
The THF6A had some keys on the keypad that would only work part time.
I now have a FT60 and after using it for around a year still have no problems with it at all. I use it several times a week. The battery lasts quite a long time. I use it mostly for crossbanding with the ic-2720 in my van. Works great.

Hope this helps, 73 and God Bless, john KB9RYI

Re: What HT do you like?

nite-eagle said:
Hi everyone, I have used several HT's in the last few years. Including a FT50, ThF6A, both I have sold for various things I did not like about them.
The FT50 started not always taking a charge when plugged into the charger.
The THF6A had some keys on the keypad that would only work part time.
I now have a FT60 and after using it for around a year still have no problems with it at all. I use it several times a week. The battery lasts quite a long time. I use it mostly for crossbanding with the ic-2720 in my van. Works great.

Hope this helps, 73 and God Bless, john KB9RYI

Yes, the FT60 I keep at work seems to last a long time between charges as well. Good HT.

well i got mine 2.5 yrs ago and it had then and still has the Litium Ion 1300 mah battery..
their original battery though was just about useless after 1.5 yrs..(due to poor charger that is built into the HT)

i wound up buying a fast charger-conditioner and extra battery for both the THF6A and T90A..
Since using the fast charger-conditioner even my original Icom battery is again working Great..

kenwood does not even offer as extra a fast charger..

so i use my fast charger-conditioner for both my T-90A and THF6A

I gota say I enjoy the IC-T90A.
In Canada the recieve goes from 0.495 to 999.990mhz with no gaps.
We do a lot of traviling and those extra freqs. come in handy.
I also found the SWL is pretty good with a long pice of wire tied onto the antenna.
The only down side I found was the speaker isn't to great in a noisy vehicle.
PS: I got mine over a year ago and it has a li-on batt.

I started hammin in the 80's and have had a few H/Ts since then but for intermod rejection I still prefer the ICOM IC-24AT.

I often end up at top-o-the-hill repeater sites and my commercial radio buddies can't believe my HAM H/T isn't getting hammered by intermod nor desensed any worse than their motorolas and commercial Kenwoods.

I had a Yaesu FT-470 and that was 'ok', but not in the same league.

My FT-530 went up for sale after only a week, too much intermod.

I have and still use my Heathkit HW-24ht dual-band as a service rig. It is great when working on repeater sites as it includes a switchable 20db attenuator. For everyday use, I use an FT-51r.

Rich

Thestonerguy said:
CDX-007 said:
My FT-530 went up for sale after only a week, too much intermod.

You must be in a BIG city. My FT-530 doesn't have much intermod here in Houston.
Local pagers got the best of the front end on mine.

Oh, and another thing... may I have your Stoner...? :LOL:

I had a ft-530. Sold it for some stupid reason. :evil: I now use a Yaesu VX-2 and a FT-60. Both give no problems. The VX-2 isn't powerful but the local repeater is GREAT. I can hit it on low power (100mw) from inside the house 15 miles away from the tower. :)

Although my Icom T90A still does great and sounds great

now i will have to say the newer IC-91AD
for it is stupid easy to use dual bander with tones of memory

It still uses same lithium battery as my T90A
so now i have plenty of batteries
as well as accepts same external mike

got to say though Icom should have created a greater capacity battery (at least 2000 mah instead of 1300 mah)

Also can use D-Star on 2 meter and 70 cm

Ofcourse wish i had not rolled my ankle
that made me fall onto my HT (with nearly all 320 lbs)
so had to send it off to get repaired

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.