• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is/was your favorite dual-band HT??

Thestonerguy

Apr 3, 2005
Texas
www.cbgazette.com
I was just looking over at my desk...at the pile-O-ht's and started to pick 'em apart (+ and -), for instance, I like many features on Icom HT's, but can't stand it that they still ship 'em with Nicads....But I digress.

Here's my two picks:
New: Yaesu FT-60
Old: Yaesu Ft-530

Given the choice between the two, or, just about any other HT, I'd still pick the FT-530. What's your fav?

I like my VX5R the best and right behind it would be my
VX1R.BUT,then again,those are the only 2 I've ever used! :LOL:
Can't afford any others at this time.Would like to try the VX2R someday.
Slim

I have a Yaesu FT-51R I use almost exclusively. Yes, it's a 10 year-old radio, but the speaker-mic for it is outstanding. Unlike many other speaker-mics, this one contains a freq display along with the up/down buttons. This means i can change freqs or check where the radio is tuned without needing to pull the radio out of its case to look at a dipslay. Plus, the radio itself works fantastically.

I've looked for a radio with a similar hand mic, and found nothing. Apparently Yaesu dropped the idea with other mics.

I'll keep using the HT until I can no longer find batteries for it. I don't talk much on it as I can't hear but i monior freqs and listen to what I can understand and that speaker mic's display makes a great feature.

I like my Kenwood TH-G71A.It is a bit larger than the real mini HT's and just feels good in the hand.It feels solid and actually meets Mil-spec for water resistance and drop/shock.Good thing as I have caused it to hit the ground on more than one occasion. :oops: The antenna is longer than most HT duckies and is more efficient.The only thing I hate about it is that it was built on a commercial HT platform and hence takes the same batteries as the commercial HT's.The price of the battery pack reflects that as well. :shock:

Yaesu VX 5r 54/146/440 Mhz
Alinco DJ 580 146/440

Both great rigs, I used to set the Alinco up in the car on the top of the hill, and use it to crossband to the local repeater on the valley floor when camping, way cool :D

Jeff

I like my Radio Shack HTX-420.
Bought it new at the discontinued price of $119.00 !

It does 2m/70cm, and weather band and air band.

It has nice wide coverage, and I was able to get extra battery packs and a battery eliminator from W-W Manufacturing.

Hey All..

I do not use dual banders..
I do use tri banders..

I really like my Icom T-90A....it is often over looked but it sure works well...usally i am mistaken as a base when using it..

i regularly hit a repeater some 75 to 80 miles away (from street level) and have hit repeaters at 90 miles (ofcourse i am using high gain dual band antenna and not rinky dink antenna it came with)....i rarly use 6 meters...

but it works exellent both on 2 meters and 70cm bands..
works great on MURS as well as FRS-GMRS frequency's as well
only wish it had 222 working well...there is a mod for 222 but it sucks on 222...lol

there is one downside to this HT..
It's charging of battery sucks and after 8 months basiclly you need new battery....
think i will get new battery and also find a charger-conditioner for it..

for 222 i use kenwood THF6A....works great on 222 but otherwise i dislike it...battery lasts a good long time though

Later

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
Hey All..

I do not use dual banders..
I do use tri banders..

I really like my Icom T-90A....it is often over looked but it sure works well...usally i am mistaken as a base when using it..

there is one downside to this HT..
It's charging of battery sucks and after 8 months basiclly you need new battery....
think i will get new battery and also find a charger-conditioner for it..

Later

I like the Icom features but I can't understand why they stick with Nicad batteries....That's the only reason I won't buy one.

What HT do you like?

Hi everyone, I have used several HT's in the last few years. Including a FT50, ThF6A, both I have sold for various things I did not like about them.
The FT50 started not always taking a charge when plugged into the charger.
The THF6A had some keys on the keypad that would only work part time.
I now have a FT60 and after using it for around a year still have no problems with it at all. I use it several times a week. The battery lasts quite a long time. I use it mostly for crossbanding with the ic-2720 in my van. Works great.

Hope this helps, 73 and God Bless, john KB9RYI

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.