• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is your all time favorite BASE AMP?

This is what I've been using for the last few years, and aside from a bleeder resistor opening up in the power supply, making for a very noisy cap failure, its been a great amp.

NCL2K1.jpg

Never needed an amp when skip conditions were high. But having the best antenna design (max gain & horizontal polarity) for skip precluded the need for an amp. 100w can really be enough if skip conditions are optimal.

When conditions are optimal 5 watts will do. Why use 100 watts. :love: You are right about the higher bands but an amp REALLY shines on the lower bands especially 80 and 160m. Just too much atmospheric noise and compromise antennas to deal with down there.

This is what I've been using for the last few years, and aside from a bleeder resistor opening up in the power supply, making for a very noisy cap failure, its been a great amp.

NCL2K1.jpg

The old NCL-2000 is a nice low drive tetrode amp. The only drawback is replacing the 8122 tubes. Burle was the last company to produce them and they were selling for close to $300 each last time I checked. I've converted several over to the 4CX250B tubes with good luck. It does require changing the sockets and readjusting the bias for this tube but it costs a whole lot less and works well. Even the old 4X150A can be used here as long as it's the JAN version with the white ceramic socket base. I've bought them NOS in the can on eBay for $20 each.

The ncl 2000 also has a regulated screen and bias supply. Great amp.

My favorite would have to be a henry 4k ultra. Employs a vac variable for c1 and c2 and a roller for l1 and l2. Has a progressively tracking input circuit.Which makes it a true 3-30 mhz amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
The finest amplifier I think I've ever owned was a TL-922. Construction was very nice, along with it's appearance. Best amplifier in the world? Nope, but a pleasure to look at and operate. Easy to work on? #3|| no! But if you didn't get too obnoxious with it you didn't have to work on it. Were there some 'odd' things, qwerks, with it? Yep, sure were. How much for a fuse?! You misunderstood, I just want one, not a case of 'em...
Oh. Well, okay...
- 'Doc

i never had a need for a amp.
just a good antenna

I know antenna is key, and i have had what i thought were some decent ones, but rarely can make dx contacts on11 meters ssb with 4-5 watts. I have done it a few times but not often, i do try though. And never on am, 1 time when i was just getting into cbs with a shakespear pogo stick antenna and tried forever. Didnt even know amps existed back then

I know antenna is key, and i have had what i thought were some decent ones, but rarely can make dx contacts on11 meters ssb with 4-5 watts. I have done it a few times but not often, i do try though. And never on am, 1 time when i was just getting into cbs with a shakespear pogo stick antenna and tried forever. Didnt even know amps existed back then

I started with a 23 ch SSB bone stock with a 5/8 wave groundplane and worked all over Europe and North America with it barefoot with 12-15 watts pep. Quite easy really. Then again it was back in 1979/80 however there were actually more people on the air back then to cause more QRM. Until a few years ago I routinely worked tghe world on 10m SSB with just 25 watts from the mobile. Many years ago I did the same on 11m from the mobile with just 25 watts.

You can't be trying hard enough. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.