• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is your Favorite CB Operating Mode?

What is your Favorite CB Operating Mode?

• AM

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • USB

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • LSB

Votes: 45 51.1%
  • FM

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
moles reason for not liking ssb cb anymore is the reason i say all cb's should have unlocked clarifiers,
you can teach somebody how to tune to the net, your screwed if all they have is a clarifier,

ending up with one sideband that sounds notably better/different than the other vs ending up with both sidebands about equal is often the difference between a screwdriver expert that aligns radios to the service manual with a frequency counter and a tech that aligns offset correctly for near equal audio response the old fashioned way,

trained ears + audio sig gen & watt meter trumps golden screwdriver + counter & service manual ;)

Reactions: 1 person
Bob I agree about the unlocked clarifiers and have tried to beat that into people's heads for years. Most just cannot or will not understand it and some just plain refuse to listen. Years ago when all clarifiers were unlocked (and radios had better quality control) we could have a dozen guys on frequency without an issue. The TX tracked properly with the RX and EVERYBODY was tuned the same.Many nights we would have roundtables with that many guys from all over the province and nobody had to continuously shift their clarifer as different guys would take their turn. Today the golden screwdriver tech unlocks the clarifier and does not bother to check for proper TX/RX tracking. Funny thing is that hams have a BIG unlocked clarifier called a VFO and we never have frequency issues when a bunch of guys are on a net.

Oh boy....I fear we just opened up yet another locked versus unlocked debate. :headbang

Reactions: 2 people
ck its exactly the same here, i used to love ssb and operate 95% on there now its 99% FM,
AM & SSB are to become legal here on cb sometime soon, should be fun,

there is no debate, you either understand radio or you don't and have a locked clarifier.;)

Captain Kilowatt said:
Then your radio needs an alignment. The two sidebands are exact mirror images of each other. Neither sounds better than the other on TX nor on RX

Ya ya might be right buddy I dunno.....

I dont know why more people dont use FM really.... Alot of people have dirty AMPS and such that splash people all over..... If they used FM they wouldnt splash anyone!

I dont understand the majority of ppl on 11 meters! (And I used to be 1 of them (Before my antenna blew down))

Ya ya might be right buddy I dunno.....

I dont know why more people dont use FM really.... Alot of people have dirty AMPS and such that splash people all over..... If they used FM they wouldnt splash anyone!

I dont understand the majority of ppl on 11 meters! (And I used to be 1 of them (Before my antenna blew down))

I think I know why. They like to see big watts out of a little amp. Low carrier and swing high. To see big watts on fm you need some plate dissipation.

I always wanted to use FM on 11m but it's just as bad as ssb when a guy with a hacked up radio comes along. They crank the deviation pot wide open thinking it will make them loud and proud.

If you can't understand what they are saying they are quick to tell you something is wrong with your rig. AM always seemed less frustrating on 11m.

I'm a sidebander, mostly LSB. I'm fortunate to have a very large group of good CB radio operators in the NJ/NY metropolitan area and we hang out on 38 LSB.

My primary operating mode is AM on my Sonar 2340 with the clipper board bypassed and an amplified D104. Always get good reports and people think I am running twice the power that I have. I listen to the AM guys on 75m and they sound great on my Hammerlund 180. I will always love AM, but when the channels get jammed up with skip I will switch to my Madison and work 38LSB and the few channels around it. I have upper channels too and try to make contacts on 27.555USB but the only people that can hear me are here in the Americas. No overseas contacts as of yet. I have talked to people on the free band channels in far away states where we were the only people talking. Kind of nice actually.

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated