• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What items cause resonating in cb or amp during modulation?

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Just curious to know, when one talks into the mic but hears a slight resonating buzzing noise from CB or AMP or body what is causing this? Overdriving? Over modulation? Someone once mentioned it may be the ferites in rig making noise.
Cheers

Is it a mechanical type of hum? If it is that's called magnetostriction. The changing magnetic fields to move metal parts enough to make sound.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetostriction

Imagine, a bass speaker from a distance, causing resonance. Slight metal buzzing due to low frequency. Its what I hear. But the noise is not coming via the speakers, its coming from the radio or amp. Even with vol turned to min.

When one says "rattling", I think of moving parts. Relays, I think, are moving parts. Maybe you're fixxin to lose a relay.

I may be way off base, though. I am, by no means, an expert. But, I figured I'd throw that out there. If I'm wrong, someone is sure to let us know, lol.

When one says "rattling", I think of moving parts. Relays, I think, are moving parts. Maybe you're fixxin to lose a relay.

I may be way off base, though. I am, by no means, an expert. But, I figured I'd throw that out there. If I'm wrong, someone is sure to let us know, lol.

It doesnt sound like a relay, its sounds more like a metal rattling noise, buzzing. I got this on my 2970N4 before it took a shit and now I can notice is on the texas star 500v , using the stock mic eliminates or reduces the issue, as does lowering the mic gain.

BTW brother, stay safe and god speed.

Yes, a properly functioning relay should not make any metalic rattling noises, BUT, if something inside is loose, maybe it would. (A relay is electronic, so it's got to have metal inside) I don't know. Like I said, just throwing it out there.

Other things could be loose inside the unit; magnetics could be causing a rattle when you transmit, perhaps.

Have you popped the top off, and tried to isolate the source of the noise?

If your 2970n4 was doing similar things, prior to dying, this may be cause for concern.

As to staying safe; always the plan! You do the same. I note that you are in Florida. Might I suggest that now may be a good time to go visit a small town in north-west Alabama, that no one has ever heard of? (Skip Atlanta; that's where the rest of the state wants to evacuate to, lol)

Yes, a properly functioning relay should not make any metalic rattling noises, BUT, if something inside is loose, maybe it would. (A relay is electronic, so it's got to have metal inside) I don't know. Like I said, just throwing it out there.

Other things could be loose inside the unit; magnetics could be causing a rattle when you transmit, perhaps.

Have you popped the top off, and tried to isolate the source of the noise?

If your 2970n4 was doing similar things, prior to dying, this may be cause for concern.

As to staying safe; always the plan! You do the same. I note that you are in Florida. Might I suggest that now may be a good time to go visit a small town in north-west Alabama, that no one has ever heard of? (Skip Atlanta; that's where the rest of the state wants to evacuate to, lol)

I filled up my truck yesterday, the lines were terrible. My concern is where does one go with just 300-360 miles of range . I assume there will be no gas available hence worst case scenario.

It should be about 200 miles to Valdosta GA, via I-75. From there, I'd head west on HWY 84. You should find gas before you run out, I would think.

Actually, you could make it out of Florida, without the Interstate, and it would be close to the same distance. Likely be less traffic, that way. Either way, 300 miles should get you out of the panic zone. Just head north west, and aim for a place that no one will think of, so you can find a room at a small local joint. This advice applies to anyone in Florida, btw. Oh, and I'd leave day before yesterday, to get a head start on the others. (Probably should have offered that one up sooner; wasn't really paying attention until today.)

Hmm... Irma seems to have started to hijack this thread...

Now is a rattling noise Limey ?

What's next ?

I have a cousin named Irma too,she has 6 kids from 4 different fathers and a little overweight around 240 pounds been just over 5 ft tall

At the party's all the singles guys run from Irma too

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.