• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What makes a good logger program?

KK6FVT

Aug 2, 2013
www.homebrewprocessors.net
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to write a logger program for Mac, and was wondering what makes a good program; that is, what parameters should be logged.

The main reasons being:

1. I'm a software developer and want to try my hand at something new (OS X apps aren't what I usually develop), and what better to write than something I can use? If I develop a good enough app, I might be able to put it on the App Store.

2. I'm a new ham (still haven't made first contact, eh) and loggers measure parameters that I don't understand nor have experience with, so writing my own only need contain things that I'll find useful, like callsign, time, frequency, etc.

Put simply, what features would you all like to see/expect to see/think is useful in a logging program? I want to try to build something that might be helpful to people other than myself.

73s,

Eli
KK6FVT

Perhaps if you made some contacts; then you might understand what you want to do.

Yep, that's an inevitability I've kinda had to face as I've started laying some groundwork out. HT and stock rubber duck doesn't do me any favors though - looking to order a larger mobile antenna in a few days' time.

I see you're in Silicon Valley; mind if I ask what part? I'm going to school in Cupertino.

There are a lot of loggers out there, search and use a few and see want you don't like. That being said there are very few loggers for OSX and or Linux. I run both but log on my Linux laptop using CQRLOG.

What's a good logging program consist of? It's a means of recording the information you need or find useful. That's about it really. What do you require, and why? That's different for almost everyone. Taking a look at a typical log sheet (gasp... the paper kind), will give you an idea. Using a logging method for a while will tell you what YOU find most convenient in entering that information. How about the 'form', arrangement of data on the paper/screen, can you think of a good arrangement that 'fits' your particular needs?
The biggies as far as I'm concerned are date, time, call sign, name, location, and notes you want to keep. And other things I didn't think about are frequency, power levels, number of contacts(?), and RST for both parties. So, try it for a while and see what you think.
Have fun...
- 'Doc

Just talked to a friend who uses 'HCLog' (Ham Call Logging) program. He likes it, it isn't too complicated. I know absolutely nothing about it, but it sounds interesting. Take a look?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.