• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What model palomar 300a is the best??

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
I've seen there is a white faced palomar 300a and a black faced palomar 300a.

Witch one is better and why??

Thanks for your input!!

Dan

It is my understanding that not all 300A's came with a high voltage relay to cut off the tubes when the amplifier is un-keyed. I would look for a 300A that did have the high voltage relay and CORRECT matching power supply.
Though if the deal is right (good tubes!) on a 300A without the high voltage relay, that relay is easy enough to add by a competent technician.

David

The face color should tell you which set of innards the amplifier has. But alas, I never have pinned down which is which. Besides, anyone can switch faceplates.

The better one for my money has the relays on a small circuit board bolted horizontally to the chassis deck just beneath the Load control and the panel meter. One relay is in a socket, the other two are white plastic blocks soldered to the pc board. The older one has three identical relays with clear plastic covers mounted on a vertical circuit board that unplugs from a green socket. Those relays are no longer available, making a repair labor intensive. 45 year-old relays tend not to be terribly reliable if they have any mileage on them.

The big HV relay mentioned above appeared in some production runs and then disappeared in later versions. Grid bias is used to shut off the tubes in standby in the versions that lack this fourth relay. I haven't seen a lot of trouble from that setup, but adding a HV cutoff relay can't be a bad thing.

Hi if ever needed this is relays replacement kit on eBay 115476250575 and manual with schematics 385364216278 and there's also a fefurb kit with cutoff relay but I can't find it as only did a quick search

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.