• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what radios?

Superidgit

May 24, 2011
Milwaukee, Wi
Deadliest Catch : Discovery Channel

Now I am a fan of this show but every once in in awhile I catch a glimpse of these talking on a radio and using a PA. Also there have been times when they talk on a "phone" .

Just wondering due to the distances and I guess I should ask what antenna they are using to put up with the weather and what not.

Are they using mutiple radios or what?

Are the radios they are using HF rigs?

Man alot goes into a communication on a crab boat!

Last edited:

They're using marine HF SSB radios and also VHF Marine radios. The phone is probably a sat phone.

I used to love listening to the boats on Lake Michigan when I lived in my hometown of Hartford Wi. I had an old radioshack marine radio I listened to and used for the weather channels. I actually have a new Uniden marine radio I had listed on the forum I should dig it back out since its summer and boating is going on.

I cant remember what model the radio is but its new with all the books and plastic still over the display. I rtemembet listening to the charter boats and rescue services coast guard ETC.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated