• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what to buy - base or mobile (when you have a power supply)?

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
Okay.... where can I look to find info. on whether it is best to purchase a base or mobile for a base operation (I know a lot of it must be preference). I have a 57 amp power supply, and it is down to the galaxy 98vhp (mobile) or base (ranger 2995 dx).

Just want to make the most informed decision....

I already have a Kenwood, but transmit audio is sub-par on AM, which is what I use mostly...

Anyway, I want a radio to have in the living room - and I don't want another HF rig.

Money is not really an issue as I spend a lot of time in this hobby, and I have a credit card with low interest. :)

Thanks for any input, this ought to be fun!

Snake Eyes[/i]

Well,if you already have a 57 amp power supply why don't you save yourself some cash and get a good mobile and a TS 250HDV.You run both the radio and amp on the same PS and be doing the same wattage for half the price!But then again if you have all that money to blow go for it.

No, I like your idea.... by the time one buys and installs all the bells and whistles of a 2995dx, they could have had the 98vhp (which puts out more watts) bought and paid for.

Cool deal.

Am leaning toward the 98 vhp.....(but that could all change)!!

I am terrible...! :p

73, Snake Eyes

in the CB and export world......bases are usually mobile main boards with built in powersupplies and different bells and whistles along with different switches and their different layout in a bigger box . it is as you said , preference/apperance .
if youre looking to put half a grand into a radio why not get something like this instead.........
http://www.texastowers.com/ic718.htm

I think the 98 VHP is a good choice. I've heard no complaints about them from anyone so far. If you don't need quite that much power, snap up an RCI 6900 Turbo, and if you dont need the echo/talkback, grab yourself an RCI 2970.

Thanks for all the suggestions here!!

Happy_Hamer,

The Icom-718 is a sweet rig!

As I mentioned, I already have a Kenwood (TS-2000) transceiver - and wish to dive into the export market for some everyday use and fun!!

The HF rigs are a most excellent choice for SSB, but not so great on AM -- unless you buy a filter.

For now, I am leaning toward the 98 VHP by Galaxy due to the bells and whistles.

While it may not have the best filtering (really don't know too much about this), it certainly has a lot of toys for me to tinker with -- even if only occasionally (like at 3:00 in the morning on channel 19).

Anyway, I think that since I have the power supply already, and don't intend on using an amp due to where I live.... I am moving away from the base (2995 dx).

Please keep those 98 VHP stories coming (good or bad).

Snake Eyes
(waving a hand)

"The HF rigs are a most excellent choice for SSB, but not so great on AM -- unless you buy a filter."

im not a ham and have never had a ham radio . what kind of a "filter" do they need to sound great on AM and what does it do to improve it so much ? can this "filter" be added to a CB/export to improve its AM performance ?

BOOTY MONSTER said:
"The HF rigs are a most excellent choice for SSB, but not so great on AM -- unless you buy a filter."

im not a ham and have never had a ham radio . what kind of a "filter" do they need to sound great on AM and what does it do to improve it so much ? can this "filter" be added to a CB/export to improve its AM performance ?

HF rigs sound much more hi-fi than a typical CB. It's not that the audio is bad at all, it's just that they don't have that harsh overmodulated sound an export CB produces.

HF rigs also have limiting in them to keep the signal as clean as possible per regulations.

Not sure what he meant by a filter unless he means a narrower band-pass to make the audio quality sound harsher.

Also, to take the bassiness out of an HF rig's transmit audio, many of them have a way to set the carrier offset for SSB and you can drastically change the characteristic of the transmit audio by sliding this up or down in range.

many HF rigs only have a narrow-band SSB filter installed from the factory. You need to add a wider (6khz) filter to effectively use the rig on AM. My old Kenwood TS-430S was like that. I had to purchase an AM filter to add to the existing SSB filter. It switched between filters as you switched modes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.