• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what to use to clean your equipment?

... took the silk screen off a turner plus three I picked up in an estate sale. Ill have to find a silk screen place now I guess. Anybody know any good ones that cater to radio people?
Save your money and do it yourself. I use a Brother label printer (PT-1230) for those type of jobs.
PT2430PC_left_labels__96504.1394226766.1280.1280.jpg

Reactions: LeapFrog
I use Formula 1 Scratch Out (automotive paint swirl remover) from the auto parts store on a cotton buffing wheel on a Dremel. It's a very fine rubbing compound. I did this today on a Connex 3300 I'm cleaning up. There was a bit of grime caked on the knobs and the face plate was faded. This method polished the knobs super slick and brought out the luster in the face plate. Just becareful not to hold it too long or you'll wear off the lettering.

I use Caig Laboratories DeoxIT D5 spray for cleaning those vintage potentiometers & switchs that will cause popping and crackling noises in the speaker during operation of the controls (& possible other equipment malfunction) this will rejuvinate & the restore the part to 100% 9 out-of 10 times & Get You In Operation!

Disclaimer:
I'm not endorsed by Caig Laboratories but I recommend the product!
(As always test on plastics incospicus place 1st you should be fine, though I tend to try and only get it in the mechanical part im restoring & not the plastics on the radio)

I buy denatured alcohol by the gallon and I use it when cleaning the inside and outside of tube amps I repair. I will use lint free clothes/rags from the $1 store or shop towels and pop sicle sticks etc....

I have used Castrol Super Clean or Purple Engine Degreaser diluted a good bit from time to time too but you never know with old radio's how they will react to any cleaner because so many types of paint and lettering and surface finishes have been used over the years. If I am really worried about something cosmetic on the outside of a device I will use either window cleaner or white vinegar with a few drops of dish soap added to it. You can always go to ever increasing strength on anything as you see it not harm the surface but go too strong too quickly and you could ruin something.

Old chrome plated plastic is almost unpredictable with regard to how it will stand up to a cleaner. Age and heat does strange things to surface finishes!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.