• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what to use to clean your equipment?

Dave239

Feb 15, 2016
Birlington, Ontario, Canada
I recently purchased some used radio's and the finish looks like it is good shape under the years of dirt that has accumulated on the knobs and face plate, what is a safe cleaner that wont scratch the chrome finish or remove any of the lettering? thanks in advance for your suggestions.

thank for your suggestions, I have used spray 9 in the past on my truck but noticed it dulled the finish after a few cleanings so I was looking for something less harsh, I will try the Simple green first and if it doesn't work then spray 9 it is

thank for your suggestions, I have used spray 9 in the past on my truck but noticed it dulled the finish after a few cleanings so I was looking for something less harsh, I will try the Simple green first and if it doesn't work then spray 9 it is

You may have dulled the finish by wiping too hard or with a cloth not as soft as it should be. Only flannel cloths get used on my truck. LOL I have never had a problem with Spray-9 and have actually soaked the knobs in it, but there are other cleansers out there.

Careful with harsh cleaners ( simple green, windex, spray whatever) or you will wipe the silk screen letters right off the face of the radio in .02 seconds.

Unscented baby wipes like the ones from Costo work well. The secret is since they have some lanolin (wax) is to soak the area to be cleaned with the baby wipe and then with a clean soft cotton rag buff the still moistened area gently to dry the wax to a shine. It will make stuff like plastic and anodized aluminum look shiny new and not dissolve the print.

*As always: test small area first.

I've had pretty good luck putting the knobs in Dawn dishwashing soap and letting them soak for a bit. Simple Green works really well for nicotine, but as previously mentioned here, you have to be careful where you use it. I have also put knobs in the dishwasher and ran them through the cycle. It seemed to work reasonably well. Windex is good, Fantastic is good (but sometimes leaves things sticky).

Brett

I recently purchased some used radio's and the finish looks like it is good shape under the years of dirt that has accumulated on the knobs and face plate, what is a safe cleaner that wont scratch the chrome finish or remove any of the lettering? thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Simple Green will not attack plastics and if you're careful and dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with distilled or even clean tap water your silk screens areas will be fine. Been using it for years.

Tons of useful Ham resources here http://www.w4wta.com

Reactions: LeapFrog and 2RT307
Simple Green will not attack plastics and if you're careful and dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with distilled or even clean tap water your silk screens areas will be fine. Been using it for years.

Tons of useful Ham resources here http://www.w4wta.com

Admittedly, I did use it full strength to get rid of a heavy smoker's nicotine residue. I've had good luck with it diluted, but it did take the white paint off my Drake's knobs when I let it soak overnight.

Brett

I found out the hard way about full strength Simple green, took the silk screen off a turner plus three I picked up in an estate sale. Ill have to find a silk screen place now I guess. Anybody know any good ones that cater to radio people?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.