• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What tube numbers are ok to run in the socket with NO HIGH VOLTAGE

You do NOT want to apply drive to a tube without HV present. Most will destroy the cathode or grid depending on how it is configured. An exception might be something like the 3CX3000A7 that has a grid dissipation of 225 watts so it might handle drive OK but why would you want to do such a thing?

Reactions: BJ radionut
Not driving it in TX or TX at all, just running idle.
Someone said that some tubes dont like that and it overloads the cathode. Maybe I'm mistaken.

So the theory is to just "test" the tubes with no HV. make sure theres no white smoke, maybe the the heaters run for 24 hours if its sat a long time.
Just to check the vitals before hitting it with hv.

thanks

Last edited:
So far I was told 572B and 3-500z it is ok to run the tubes with no hv.
So others with perhaps a screen voltage and such it might pull current and hurt the tube. thanks!

and "run" I mean idle, no tx

Running a tube with the cathode/filament only should not cause trouble.

I've seen several very nice radio installations in someone's den, with ambient light shed by the filament of just such a tube. The particular tube might have some internal problem making it unusable EXCEPT that the filament/heater still lights up.
Not MUCH light, but a reminder of earlier days.

Try https://www.etsy.com/market/vacuum_tube_desk_lamp

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.