• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What was your first HF ham rig??

Thestonerguy said:
My first was a Heathkit HR5400. The audio quality was "okay", but the CW tone quality was excellent. I received many compliments about it.

My second was a Yaesu FT-101 - a really great rig

So what about yours??

I was watching an ebay auction for an unbuilt HW-5400 with ps - Think it ended around $2.2k

Globe Chief Deluxe (pair of 807s); CW only, crystal control, 75/90 watts DC INPUT.

Hallicrafters SX-99

Hy-Gain triband vertical (of which I could only use 15 meters!), bought second hand from K7BRW, who also sold me the SX-99.

mine was the good ole Icom 706 MKIIG
that i actually used as a cb untill i got around to taking my test about a year later..

prior to that also had the RCI-2970 (a spash box...i used to think it was a good radio....lol)

prior to that the Ranger AR-3500 (high power version)
very nice little radio...was great on top of the mountians..
but this too was a spash box...i used to have to park at least 3/8 mile from work when during lunch i spoke to south americ every day from nyc..

now have stepped up a little to the Icom IC-7000
and within a couple of weeks will get the Icom 910H (with all the toys ofcourse)

also have Icoms T-90A (this is a not known HT....but it works extremly well)
but also needed 222 so have kenwoods THF6A (works great on 222....but i dont really care for this radio) and Alinco's D235 which is Great on 222

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.