• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what were the good older radios

trailrider

Jul 22, 2012
I see a lot of the older cb radios on ebay. if i were to want to buy one of these be it a 23 or 40 channel' what were the better radios from the past??

SBE & CPI if ya can find them....both were excellent, high end radios if i remember the cpi was about a grand in the seventies. i dont know the specs on these radios but they were top shelf in the day....how they stackup today....?? not sure

Stoner..............Good luck finding one you can afford tho...

I wish I had saved a screenshot of this ad, about a year ago an ad popped up in the local classifieds for a "Stoner CB Radio" for $75. I clicked the ad so fast it nearly broke my mouse. It was a Cobra 29 with a pot leaf sticker on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 3 people
I wish I had saved a screenshot of this ad, about a year ago an ad popped up in the local classifieds for a "Stoner CB Radio" for $75. I clicked the ad so fast it nearly broke my mouse. It was a Cobra 29 with a pot leaf sticker on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I would have bought it anyway.

Reactions: 1 person
Back in the early 70's.. My Realistic TRC-23a was an excellent radio.
In the early 80's was Cobra 146 GTL.
Mid 80's was Ranger AR-3500 (100 watt version).

Although they are all still excellent radios..
If you want to keep a "Legit/Legal" cb then Cobra 146 GTL is Excellent.
If looking for a 10-12 (with cb) it is Still hard to beat the Ranger AR-3500 (100 watt version)Even today.

That said, Back in the day, I would indeed liked to have had the following..
Cobra 2000...Cobra 142...Browning Golden Eagle.

If i were to buy one today (in a 10-12 meter export radio) it would be a Ranger 2970 N2.

However..I find most ham radios ( which are indeed easy modded for cb/11 meters) do a far better job of getting out and there are many different models that are more then reasonable price wise.

Still i recall those days in 70's/80's fondly using my older radios
(including the older Turner Plus 2 desk power mike as well as the D104 M6 mobile power mike with tone and variable mic gain..as well as the 6 ft tall antenna on the center of my Mustang that looks a lot like the now current 10K antenna) and how i used to get out extremely well from the car.

Reactions: 1 person
lots of good ones,

Any Browning base or mobile,CPI,Tram,Siltronix,SBE,Palomar,Sonar,Dak,Mark they where made in Ill or Indy dont rember...and if ya need tubes get ahold of me i have a friend about 10miles away that sells new and used tubes...73 de JW

I like the Cobra 2000 then again it how much you want to spend. I will tell you that the Antanna and how yoy set it up will make or break you good Raido. You can buy the best old raido in the world but without a good Antanna it will not live up to what you want. Now that's just my 2 penny's worth God Bless.

i had a cobra 5 (V) about 20 or so years ago....... wish i still had it, it was a VERY early mobile radio, only 5 channels. i sold it in a yard sale for .50 cents think......:oops:

not that it was great but in it's day i bet it was hard to beat.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.