• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What would I need to do if I were to add an amp into my system

CrashRecovery

Jun 29, 2020
So I have read/heard/watched some confusing stuff since I got back into the CB game. One thing that keeps coming up is what needs to be done to a radio before an amp is added to the system. I've seen everything from do nothing and leave it stock to tune the radio for audio and drop the power. If I was only going to run a small amp like the RM Italy 203 that says it can handle up to 10w and 20w on ssb, do I really need to do anything internally to the McKinley other then adjust the power and mic gains to get the best sound out of it? I'll eventually be installing a Larsen NMO 27 antenna and it says its 150w max so I don't want to go too crazy on it.

You’ve seen me say I haven’t done anything when adding a KL-203 and been “successful” (nothing blew up). It’s a low bar for performance (radio + amp should be tested for what each is doing) and simply means, when you get around to it, set radio & amp as a pair, whether you want my experience as guide or not.

Antenna system should be as good as can be. The priority. That, and clean power that doesn’t lose much voltage (3% MARINCO Voltage Drop Chart). “Performance” comes after these: won’t run out of juice, and CMC + RFI are addressed as called for once SWR set.

Hardest part of a big truck install is antenna mount ground. That’s what would have my attention in re any mobile install in any vehicle. (The horizontal vehicle metal given RF Bonds, first).

In a big truck, overcoming deficiencies not really found on typical private vehicles should make your pairing easier. Better antenna efficiency is almost guaranteed. You’ll be doing more with less.

Radio as delivered, and KL-203 will work out of the box. It’s the systems they work with, first, and component tweaks (if needed), second (IMO).

The kl203 is very much a low drive amplifier. On AM a 1-1.5 watt input dead key with 8-12 watts will be plenty. On SSB again, 8-12 watts PEP input is all that's needed. Some people might get away with just a touch more then the numbers I listed but the amp will run hotter and it's life will be shortened. A small fan works great on the kl-203.

I will assume you already have your antenna system in proper order and you have a feed line to the battery properly grounded/fused/installed. A 3 or 6 foot jumper would be all you need between the radio and amp and your good to go.

Here is a link for a great wright up on the kl203 amplifier.

http://cbradiomagazine.com/rm-italy-kl203-cb-amplifier/

Years ago I had a lot of fun with the KL-203 with a couple of different radios mobile. The best I had was a Galaxy 77hml with the low power set a 1w. I would see 60-70w on AM and 150-170w on SSB. Talked a lot of SSB skip with that! I also had a Titan Road Pro (single final Magnum 257 clone) that I did real well with the RF power turned down to about 1w. It wouldn't quite do what the 77 did, but again talked a bunch of SSB skip with that one too! Never had a lick of trouble with the KLV. It would get warm if you ratchet jawed, but they never "let the smoke out"!
Mobile installs were so much easier back in the '90's...........

JD

This is where it starts, next thing you know you will have a shelf full of radios and amps to play with. Don't fight it, just let it happen.

Why buy one amp when you can buy two? You can always use a second one.

http://www.88radio.com/RM-Italy-Ampifier
Oh yeah! I did have 2 KLV 203's. One for the big truck and one for the pickup. And a closet full of radios at home! If I had a base setup it would've gotten uglier! Alas couldn't do it where I was living back in the Empire State! Now that I'm out here in the Buckeye..........who knows!

JD

I will assume you already have your antenna system in proper order and you have a feed line to the battery properly grounded/fused/installed. A 3 or 6 foot jumper would be all you need between the radio and amp and your good to go.

Here is a link for a great wright up on the kl203 amplifier.

http://cbradiomagazine.com/rm-italy-kl203-cb-amplifier/
9C1 that is in the works. Once I find the time I'll tear into my truck and pull the headliner down and get my Breedlove Puck and Larsen NMO27 mounted on the roof of my superduty. Right now I'm borrowing a Larsen third brake light bracket so I can use the Wilson 1000 mag mount I purchased for a different setup. With out having to adjust anything on the antenna I've got a SWR reading of 1.0. Now I have learned from reading about antenna installs on here and with conversations with Slowmover the ground plane on this setup is probably super tiny. The bracket uses the factory screws and two additional bolts that clamp the bracket in place. The two large bolts connect directly to the body unlike the factory screws that use that plastic nut insert. I neglected to take pictures of the install before I put the third brake light back in place but I have two I can show you the final result.

157566074_10222159105940767_1293131530416403829_o.jpg 157620505_10222159104460730_2219556880242653076_o.jpg
I'm sure once I get the Larsen mounted up I'll have no worries about signal and ground plane. My only decision I need to figure out is do I go full center or keep it tucked back like it is now. I know that would limit signal strength and the direction it will radiate the best. I'm somewhat ocd when it comes to aesthetics.

This is where it starts, next thing you know you will have a shelf full of radios and amps to play with. Don't fight it, just let it happen.
Shadetree, I've been there before. In my younger years I had a bunch of stuff in the garage at my parents house. Antennas, coax, radios, I had it all. I joined the military and well priorities changed. I always had cb in my vehicles or planned to have one.
I don't have much for shops around me except for the little shop in the TA travel center. I haven't been in there for a while but the last few times I went in there it seems like I was bothering people asking questions. Now the owner was cool when I did a deal on a radio tune and a fatboy amp for cash and a set of factory superduty tires. After I sold that truck all the stuff was yanked and I never put a radio back into the next three vehicles. Now that I have my 2019 SD I wanted a radio. Started with my tried and true radio the Uniden 520. That crapped out and I now have the President McKinley in the truck. My goal is to have a radio that talks but is not obnoxious. Thats why Slowmover suggested the Larsen NMO27 antenna and the Breedlove puck. I'll eventually get it installed.

Last edited:

We can sign him up for contributor Undertaker Radio Museum Curator Certification.

To wit:

Items must properly age & meld with surrounding auras prior to unboxing.
Months or years are thus not to be counted.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.