• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what's a decent free band radio?

sorry i get to rapped up in it sometimes. i got to remember theres a market for hundays and kias for a reason- theres people who dont know better and are easily content.
in the cheapier plastic radios the newer 2950 is a good one and updated for like the third or foiurth time so they seem more solid and less drifty plus they do have good sound on transmit but i dont know ifthey still sound crispy on receive or not. i got rid of mine years ago because it sounded like the tweeter treble was turned up all the way and i got tired of the hissy sound plus it got alot of bleedover
i wish more people had a chance to play with real equipment like those old kenwood workhorses. i know more people would love it like i do if they tried it but I guess there afraid of them because they have so many knobs or something

I got the HR2510s in today... the receive is AWESOME on them... they make my Galaxy DX77hml, TRC458, and Cobra 142 GTL sound like they have no antenna

I got the HR2510s in today... the receive is AWESOME on them... they make my Galaxy DX77hml, TRC458, and Cobra 142 GTL sound like they have no antenna

You need to try on older Magnum Delta Force they are another great recieving radio, I have had a 2510 and liked it a lot too but the Magnums seems to be as good a recieve and a lot less money used.

I have a magnum s9 it does not hear as well as the 2510

Mr Fix I have an S9 also and it does hear very well but for some reason the Delta Force is a recieve monster, if it's a quiet night I can hear crazy far, in normal evening QSO time I have the RF Gain about half way and still have 7 to 9 S units on most guys

I have said it before and I must agree, the Delta Force was and still is an all time great. The best of the breed would be the 2002 version. The early versions got some complaints of noisy receive. If you want an AM/FM audio monster look for a Maverick.

I have said it before and I must agree, the Delta Force was and still is an all time great. The best of the breed would be the 2002 version. The early versions got some complaints of noisy receive. If you want an AM/FM audio monster look for a Maverick.

How about that and the one I have has a sticker on the box that says " 2002 version" Guess that is a keeper no doubt;)

Although i like ham radios..
Most would go past the asking range..

That being the case..
You will do Exceptionally with the AR-3500 or AR-3300 ..
( they are Amazing radios indeed )

yes

i love my ar 3300 awesome radio.the radio is over 30 years old. and it looks like a brand new radio.

i love my ar 3300 awesome radio.the radio is over 30 years old. and it looks like a brand new radio.

i had a silver face 3300 and liked the features and high build quality but it got alot of de-sensing and bleedover so i moved it along

sorry i get to rapped up in it sometimes. i got to remember theres a market for hundays and kias for a reason- theres people who dont know better and are easily content.
in the cheapier plastic radios the newer 2950 is a good one and updated for like the third or foiurth time so they seem more solid and less drifty plus they do have good sound on transmit but i dont know ifthey still sound crispy on receive or not. i got rid of mine years ago because it sounded like the tweeter treble was turned up all the way and i got tired of the hissy sound plus it got alot of bleedover
i wish more people had a chance to play with real equipment like those old kenwood workhorses. i know more people would love it like i do if they tried it but I guess there afraid of them because they have so many knobs or something

I want to say, A recieve kit would've of worked to take out that hissy ( white noise ) as we call it. I have had some great 10 meter radios through my years. Radio Operator since '73. Ar-3500 100wt model, Yeticom Optima, Rci2970n2, 2950 first gen. just to name a few. Rci-2950dx would be my choice.

I want to say, A recieve kit would've of worked to take out that hissy ( white noise ) as we call it. I have had some great 10 meter radios through my years. Radio Operator since '73. Ar-3500 100wt model, Yeticom Optima, Rci2970n2, 2950 first gen. just to name a few. Rci-2950dx would be my choice.

so have they done anything with the receiver in the new ones to get rid of that krispy kritters hiss and tinny sound?

Well I have to say my new 2950DX black face has great recieve a lot better than the 2950, 2950DX, 2970DX and 2985DX that I have owned, very sensitive but still no crummy white noise

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.