• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what's a decent free band radio?

My RCI-2995DX is a beautiful radio that uses the same chassis as the 2970 and has two 2290 output transistors. It delivers the power of ~160 watts PEP. It has been in the shop over three times and is about to go in once again because SSB sounds like crap, AM sounds fine; but I do not use AM. The meter in the radio has never functioned correctly either.

But the real casualty with this radio is the white noise in the receiver. In fact, it is very annoying. So annoying that I never use this radio. Although it looks nice, it is fairly useless to me. As soon as I get it looked at and fixed for the last time, it will go on eBay. But what gets me are those who use this radio for DX and put up with all of the noise. This noise is self generated by the radio. If/when I listen on my Kenwood, Cobra, or AR-3500 the noise isn't there. Never could understand why the RCI radios are so popular. Must be tolerant or just gotten used to all of the noise. Also aligned a RCI-2950 for a local friend. Although it received OK and worked OK with some freq display problems - it too also had the white noise trash. Never again!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.