• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Whats a good beam antenna?

Nothing wrong with a 3 element beam . . .

Most operators won't respond to a radio that is very distorted because it makes you hard to understand and respond to. If you are the same operator that lives up on the peninsula in the Palo Alto/Redwood City area; then you are driving your amp too hard and distorting.

Send me a 'Private Message' on this forum and perhaps I can give you a hand and iron out some of these issues you have.
No problemmo . . .

robb that's not me I wish I still lived in California im from san jose, ca but I drive my amp with 3w dk and swing to 30

Reactions: 1 person
Things seem to have strayed from the topic. Absolutely nothing wrong with a 3 element beam. I'd pay attention more to the time difference. When are most operators on? Morning and evening, but not always. :) If you have a good dx predictor, you can use that to help. VOA Prop is a great little program, and 10 meters is close enough to 11 meters to give you a good idea of where DX "should" be. Funny thing is with propagation, I've found I made the trip on my A99 better than I could on my 4 element Maco. That has been both to Hawaii and to Australia. You just never know what polarization is going to do after it flips and flops a couple of times via propagation. And the path that it gets there can be odd too. I turn the beam for strongest white noise, and often times can hear stations that I "shouldn't" be hearing. Like pointing northwest from Texas got me to Australia stronger than by pointing at them. So, you might find the "long path" works better for you than by pointing across the US. VOA Prop shows you long path, too. Just keep trying!

RT307

sound like a very good idea ima try that thanks.....

3 el beam with 1 kw should be more than enough.Try calling on another ch. 38 can be a s**t fight,try 35 for us here down under (late after noon early evening your time) And as said earlier make sure your signal sounds ok.All the power in the world wont make up for bad audio.

3 el beam with 1 kw should be more than enough.Try calling on another ch. 38 can be a s**t fight,try 35 for us here down under (late after noon early evening your time) And as said earlier make sure your signal sounds ok.All the power in the world wont make up for bad audio.

would that be 35LSB?

What's a 's**t fight'? I'm guessing it's something I'd want to avoid, or is it?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.