• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WHAT'S GOING ON WHEN IT COMES TO HIFI CB?

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
I hear quite a few stations on Channel 28 AM with setups that sound like they're operating an AM radio station. Many are aloof when asked what they're running and others are straight up. There's so many different descriptions of what they're using I was just wondering if somebody can simplify it for me. How and what are these stations using that makes them sound the way they do?

I hear quite a few stations on Channel 28 AM with setups that sound like they're operating an AM radio station. Many are aloof when asked what they're running and others are straight up. There's so many different descriptions of what they're using I was just wondering if somebody can simplify it for me. How and what are these stations using that makes them sound the way they do?

If you buy the right radio with the right microphone you can sound 90% as good without wasting all the money :) Also a lot of the equipment run is unnecessary - those guys play king of the mountain same way people do with amps. Look at me, I have this running into this running into this running into this and so on and so on and they spend thousands on rack equipment.

No way to cut corners on this one. And no right answers.
A non modified radio with the smart operator can sound pretty good. And I've heard plenty of modified wideband radios sound like sh1t.

Stellasarat,

most of these guys are using what is called "direct injection" which means they have modified their radio with an external input that goes right to the AM modulator circuit, and from there goes right to the driver and final section.
by doing this, they are bypassing all the mic amplifying circuits, and other audio tapering circuits in the radio that serve to restrict the mic audio to 300-2500 hz.

they are also bypassing any sort of modulation limiting, which means that they have to provide that with their outboard gear. compression is the usual way to achieve this.

most who do this will also modify their radios to expand the receive audio bandwidth also, so that they can hear all the fidelity that some other hi fi station is putting out.

the way i did it was to build a separate AM modulator circuit, and install that in my radio with a switch, so i can switch between the normal mic input, or use my outboard gear.

i also added a line level output to the receiver so i can output the incoming audio to a separate stereo with EQ.

i find it makes extended listening much more enjoyable when i can EQ the station im talking to.
LC

Last edited:
The quest for a good sounding rig is somewhat noble, I guess. I only care bout being heard without a crappy signal. However, those who choose this route, then purposefully try to sound like Johnny Fever are tools.

Just your typical nerdy ass kid showing off his brand new bike... furiously squeezing his horn for all the poor kids to hear and see.

Stellasarat,

most of these guys are using what is called "direct injection" which means they have modified their radio with a line level input that goes right to the AM modulator circuit, and from there goes right to the driver and final section.

If they're using line level then they're shoving a volt or more into the circuit so its being way way overdriven.

sorry about that M0GVZ, you are right, i was thinking of the receive circuit when i said line level.
post corrected. thanks!
LC

One thing people need to realize about using outboard gear is with all that processing, you are getting farther from the truth.

By definition, EQ is altering natural sound. In the pro studio environment this is often used as a tool for an corrective measure like making different instruments sit in the mix better. but also used as an effect for a certain sound desired.

Compression is widely used in the recording environment mostly to control the dynamic range of an individual instrument or the whole mix or when used as a limiter, to keep audio signals from peak overloads which can be detrimental to digital recordings.

How is all this relevant to radio?

It isn't. Keep the outboard gear in the studio where it belongs!

Too often I hear Hams and CBer's like Motor mouth maul run thier audio thru all kinds of outboard gear and since they own all this stuff, they are compelled to have to use it or over use it.

Modern HF rigs usually have a good onboard processing features tailored for their own radios. When used properly and sparingly they usually sound good enough.

With good working knowledge of your radio and a good mic, you will punch thru and sound clear well above any over-processed FM sounding station who will be buried alive in noisy band conditions.

Last edited:
One thing people need to realize about using outboard gear is with all that processing, you are getting farther from the truth.

By definition, EQ is altering natural sound. In the pro studio environment this is often used as a tool for an corrective measure like making different instruments sit in the mix better. but also used as an effect for a certain sound desired.

Compression is widely used in the recording environment mostly to control the dynamic range of an individual instrument or the whole mix or when used as a limiter, to keep audio signals from peak overloads which can be detrimental to digital recordings.

How is all this relevant to radio?

It isn't. Keep the outboard gear in the studio where it belongs!

Too often I hear Hams and CBer's like Motor mouth maul run thier audio thru all kinds of outboard gear and since they own all this stuff, they are compelled to have to use it or over use it.

Modern HF rigs usually have a good onboard processing features tailored for their own radios. When used properly and sparingly they usually sound good enough.

With good working knowledge of your radio and a good mic, you will punch thru and sound clear well above any over-processed FM sounding station who will be buried alive in noisy band conditions.

The audio amp circuit in a stock radio has an eq. In many radios it's fixed caps and is not adjustable. You can't tell me that all stock radios with a stock mic have a flat frequency response. What is the difference between a guy using the eq in his yaesu or connecting an eq to a lower end radio without a built in eq? Should he take the lazy route and just buy an appliance with the features he wants?

You aren't a fan of compression because you don't understand how to properly use it properly. What are you going to say next? ALC has no business being used on SSB? It's not a scam to sound like motor mouth maul. The peak limiter prevents over modulation which I think is a good thing. A properly adjusted compressor makes softer spoken words heard more clearly. Is there something wrong with using external limiting with more transparency to sound cleaner? Or should the person be lazy again? Maybe settle for what they have until they can upgrade to a better appliance.

I understand that you are happy operating an appliance and are happy with the audio that comes out of it. I will not fault you for that. Since you have no interest in this subject so you think the whole concept is stupid. Either that or you're trolling the CB forums again.

[QUOTE="fourstringburn, post: 548579, member: 2920"
With good working knowledge of your radio and a good mic, you will punch thru and sound clear well above any over-processed FM sounding station who will be buried alive in noisy band conditions.[/QUOTE]

Above is what i have done for many, many years!
I will add to learn to use your natural speaking as I have over time, and utilize and adjust the station and microphone properly. Also learn about matching mic's to radio.

I will say I do like the studio sound, when it is done properly:

Here is some good info on the subject:

The audio amp circuit in a stock radio has an eq. In many radios it's fixed caps and is not adjustable. You can't tell me that all stock radios with a stock mic have a flat frequency response. What is the difference between a guy using the eq in his yaesu or connecting an eq to a lower end radio without a built in eq? Should he take the lazy route and just buy an appliance with the features he wants?

You aren't a fan of compression because you don't understand how to properly use it properly. What are you going to say next? ALC has no business being used on SSB? It's not a scam to sound like motor mouth maul. The peak limiter prevents over modulation which I think is a good thing. A properly adjusted compressor makes softer spoken words heard more clearly. Is there something wrong with using external limiting with more transparency to sound cleaner? Or should the person be lazy again? Maybe settle for what they have until they can upgrade to a better appliance.

I understand that you are happy operating an appliance and are happy with the audio that comes out of it. I will not fault you for that. Since you have no interest in this subject so you think the whole concept is stupid. Either that or you're trolling the CB forums again.
Boy are you wrong and quick to jump to conclusions. You missed the entire point. No use explaining it to you. You are trolling with your inexperience and wrong and ridiculous assumptions.

I have a lot of experience in using pro audio equipment and own some myself in my home studio recording shack with tube parametric EQ's, multiple tube and solid state compressors and other effects along with a 24 track digital ADAT recorder and 24 channel mixer that I can easily integrate with my Radio gear if I wanted.

" I'm not a fan of compression because I don't know how to use it??? " Get real!!! I can go into detail on how compression works but this isn't a audio forum. I did give the basics previously on how and why it is used in the recording field.

My point still stands that you missed...

The more processing done to a signal, the more further away from the truth you get. That's a fact!!!

Motor mouth maul is a classic example on how over processed a simple signal can sound and often when I heard him, he was buried alive since heavy audio sound can't cut through when signals and band conditions are less than ideal. Obviously you are a fan of his and probably worships everything he says and I insulted you.

Whether Ham or CB, this isn't HI-FI radio so the audio is never going to truly sound HI-FI anyway. I do use a expensive high quality Ribbon mic on my home station and a pro audio wireless mic on my mobile HF radio. The little processing which I do use on my HF radio's goes along way and it is done with each radio's own on board processing tailored for the bandwidth used in HF radio broadcasting.

Again, people I have heard with all kinds of outboard gear are compelled to over-use it and play mad scientist twisting all kinds of knobs and don't realize most of the EQ adjustments will fall out of the other ends receiver's bandwidth filter's anyhow. But as long as it sounds like FM in their headphones or talkback, it's good!

If you are not happy with your Cobra 148 , then get a real HF radio and that will sound far better on SSB than using that Cobra radio and trying to compensate with all kinds of outboard audio gear that was designed and intended for recording studios not radio.

If you buy the right radio with the right microphone you can sound 90% as good without wasting all the money :) Also a lot of the equipment run is unnecessary - those guys play king of the mountain same way people do with amps. Look at me, I have this running into this running into this running into this and so on and so on and they spend thousands on rack equipment.
Well said!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.