• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's it worth part III Golden Eagle

bcrewcaptain

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Central Va
I know nothing about the background of this unit, it's going to be sold to go help fund a starter HF rig.
What I do know. Browning Golden Eagle Mark IV, Receiver and transmitter, both units are well used, but not trashed. Transmitter has damage on top as you can see in pics, but it's not major to a common user, a purist will need to do some more work. All knobs turn freely, a couple have a bit of static when spun but not as bda as expected. Pigtail that joins two units can use a rebuild, it works, but only when held at the right angle. Both meter bulbs are blown(can see from rear), all tubes seem to fire up just fine, meter moves as if getting signal, but no audio(assume due to no mic). All LED segments are working(when plug is held just right allowing it to power up).
This would obviously be sold as parts, but complete.
Rough idea of worth? Ebay will prob be my best bet, unless somebody here is interested for the right price or partial trade toward an HF rig.

Attachments

• IMG_0196_zpse50c0436.jpg
    IMG_0196_zpse50c0436.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0195_zpsb844623a.jpg
    IMG_0195_zpsb844623a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0194_zpsd4a7efb7.jpg
    IMG_0194_zpsd4a7efb7.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 9

That's 1 rough looking Browning.

Six weeks ago I started up a conversation with an elderly man in a 711 parking lot. He had an unfamiliar looking antenna. It turned out to be a ham radio antenna. He exsplained before becoming a ham he was a chicken bander. One thing lead to another and before I knew it. I was checking out his nice but somewhat slim collection of his tube cb's. Two of them where Browning's a lll and a lV. I knew I couldn't get in in his house (I wheelchair) and he told me he couldn't test em because he had no antenna. I brought along a radioshack mag mount with 50ft extension cord and a freq. Counter. He hadn't fired them up in 4 years when he moved to a retirement community and left the 11 meter antenna behind as no antennas alowed in his new qht. I used the 40 channel R.S. at as he transmitted I made way around his community. All sounded good. After 45 min. I made my way back to garage. Checked the recive on both the lll n lV. Nice recive. Granted I was listings to him on my wt from a block away. I paid $225 for the lV n $150 for the lll. He threw in an unamplifed d104 that can be used on either radio. Now I know this dosnt happen every day. But judging by your pics. I'd say start the biding at $100 for the set. Or maybe separate them and start at $60. I hope this dosnt insult you as my 2 cents is worh a penny. P.S. I can't stand the ping, the audio isn't as proud as many other tube cb's. On top of that why a separate transmitter and reciver I could never understand. After playing with them for a few days each I packed them away and will probably fire them up once every few months to keep the juices flowing. I think if thay were a one piece transceiver it would've made a better radio. I think the popularity of them has to do with the excellent ad campaign of Browning labs and the people who thought having two pieces that pinnnnnnnng when u key up was the draw for most early owners. I've always wanted one now I have two. The only reason was the price I got them for.

I really don't know what those radios are worth but you should have no problems selling them on eBay. Both radios are considered "collector items" and both are usually in demand.

That's my thought at this point...toss it on the bay and see what happens. Interesting design, but none I have any motivation to do anything with. There does seem to be an odd cult following, and well, I plugged it all in and nothing let the smoke out, so this is a plus.

That's my thought at this point...toss it on the bay and see what happens. Interesting design, but none I have any motivation to do anything with. There does seem to be an odd cult following, and well, I plugged it all in and nothing let the smoke out, so this is a plus.

Good Luck!

I see you now have them on ebay for sale. good luck with your venture on selling them. someone already started the bidding.

a cult following for these things, I may get lucky after all. I'm just not a fan of tubes, I've had my share of the things in the past, now I just want to press a button and go, but each to his own!
Feel free to bid away however ;)

I guess I lucked out on this one, they sold....Winning bid:US $271.00

I turned a slight profit on this one. Now I can get a new power supply and a few other ham goodies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.