• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Whats the easiest way to bench test a car CB unit ?

CBTedII

May 17, 2014
Hi ALL!
I've got a stupid question here!
Just want to see if this CB unit I have sitting around works ?? It's a GE, 3-5817A for a car.
Can I see if it works by hooking it up to a train DC transformer @ 12 volts ? Or is not enough current ?
I have the correct wiring harness for it and an antenna, I'm just looking for the easiest way to check ?
MANY THANKS, CB Ted

Hook the radio up to 12-14 volts DC.......hook an antenna to it and then go through the functions. It's not rocket science.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't know if a train transformer would work. The output is probably not filtered DC, AND as you suggest, it might not provide enough current. I'd grab a small 12V battery, like for a lawn mower or motorcycle. Connect it and turn the radio on - see what happens.

Don't transmit into an unknown load. Use a dummy load or an antenna you KNOW to be good.

Reactions: 1 person
how about some batteries?

get a bunch of C or D cell batteries, and connect them in series. (just like they would be if you stuck them in a flashlight) 9 of them will give you 13.5 volts DC, and will have enough current to test the transmitter.

CB radios only draw between 300 and 1000 milliamps on receive, and just about 2 amps on transmit. (unless the unit has been modified for higher power output)

of course, its usually not too hard to find a car battery, or for that matter a car to use to do this test.

are there no vehicles where you are?
LC

Thanks!

I just remember hearing something about NOT trying it without an antenna.
I do have one with it, not sure of it's quality!
THX, Ted

I just remember hearing something about NOT trying it without an antenna.
I do have one with it, not sure of it's quality!
THX, Ted

Then Do NOT try and transmit usless you have a good known load for an antenna and for sure it you got a mobile antenna with this radio...DO NOT try it until is is installed properly.

You can try an listen on it, but do not key the radio.

Funny thing, a friend of mine in navy sigs thought a bench test was to turn the radio upside down and hit it on the bench. If it survived it was good to go. DON'T USE A TRAIN TRANSFORMER it's not filtered.

I hooked up several odd air capacitors I found at a dump site between my old train transformer and a DC vehicle fan. That smoothed out the pulses enough to actually drive the fan. A GE cb radio of that era with have a stock 2 amp fuse but you'll blow that when you crank up the modulation near 100% and then you'll have to upgrade the fuse to a little higher rating. I own a NIB/NOS GE-5813a and the 'B' model. The stock transmitted audio quality reminds me of talking in a plastic cup but set at 100% modulation,it's a pretty descent sounding radio. It's no 959 in sheer terms of modulation capability but if you like vintage.

A 'train' transformer? Don't put much faith in that. probably won't even come close to the current required. There's nothing wrong with having more current capacity than required, so think big. It's a fairly easy thingy to figure current requirements' but the results are always more than you would ever think to start with. It takes current to produce enough current so there's almost never 'enough', you know? So, thing big! Not a happy thought huh?
- 'Doc

Well make sure you have enough amps to use on it and it is uninterrupted power.If you just pluck an antenna on it with no ground (POOF).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.