• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's up with people using amateur frequencies for business?

jeff48356

Jun 23, 2013
In the Detroit area, there's some kind of business operations taking place on 446.150 MHz. I'm listening to them right now. I haven't been able to figure out what kind of business it is, but how did they get assigned a ham frequency to operate on? Isn't there enough business frequencies they could use instead, instead of encroaching on our bands?

We already lost 420-425 MHz to business and public safety. How much more do they plan to take away from us?

EDIT: Correction on this. It seems I've tuned an image of a strong business signal on 424.750. I'm listening on a RadioShack Pro-70 scanner. But still, the fact remains that they are operating on another frequency that used to be for hams.

but how did they get assigned a ham frequency to operate on? Isn't there enough business frequencies they could use instead, instead of encroaching on our bands?

Kind of answered your own question there......They do not get assigned a ham frequency, they are not supposed to be there.

jeff

If you're hearing an image on your scanner, it is very possible that it's your scanner's fault. Try listening with a better radio and see if you still hear them. If you do, you should contact the business because they have a problem that needs to be corrected.

Around here it seems like every redneck with a pick-up truck has a 2 meter rig and antenna on it. Most of them use them for hunting radios. I have heard a snow plow business being run on 2 meters also.
These guys are totally illegal but don't care and get away with it all day long. Ham radios are cheaper and more abundant than commercial radios. I've turned in whatever information I can to the FCC. It's up to them to follow up.
I even ran into some guys with marine VHF antennas on their trucks. "What's that fancy antenna for?" I asked. "We use those marine radios for hunting." they told me "they work a lot better than CB." The FCC got their tag numbers. I don't know if it helped.

Here in Michigan a few years ago, the FCC was busting bear hunters right and left for using 2 meter. They finaly got smart and sent aletter to the state club, warning members. That seems to have taken care of the problem.
Rich

English only?

I have to go back to my FFC regs and look again, but I always thought conversations originating inside the US were required to be in the English language. Around the country and around Louisville, I hear lots of conversations on 2M and 70CM in Spanish/Mexican.

I have to go back to my FFC regs and look again, but I always thought conversations originating inside the US were required to be in the English language. Around the country and around Louisville, I hear lots of conversations on 2M and 70CM in Spanish/Mexican.

Nope. You just have to give your callsign in English.

Reactions: 1 person
In the Detroit area, there's some kind of business operations taking place on 446.150 MHz. I'm listening to them right now. I haven't been able to figure out what kind of business it is, but how did they get assigned a ham frequency to operate on? Isn't there enough business frequencies they could use instead, instead of encroaching on our bands?

We already lost 420-425 MHz to business and public safety. How much more do they plan to take away from us?

EDIT: Correction on this. It seems I've tuned an image of a strong business signal on 424.750. I'm listening on a RadioShack Pro-70 scanner. But still, the fact remains that they are operating on another frequency that used to be for hams.

I see the exact same thing here, same signal on 424.750 and 446.150 on a Pro-37 scanner. I'm in SW Detroit and both signals are crystal clear. This is a towing company than runs all over oakland & macomb county mostly.

I also hear a business that I can't identify using 442.2875.

I've heard multiple languages on VHF & UHF bands...ENGLISH not required except your amateur call in English every ten minutes or 600 seconds.(y)

Never know what the FCC is doing under the table. As a musician I can't keep up with the reassigning of frequencies all my wireless equipment used. Now after spending good dollars for sennheiser and shure wireless guitar rigs they're essentially illegal and I can't sell them or trade them. Sorry for the brief hijack.

3's

Are you Sure it is a Business..
Not some sort of police or emergency services..or government services..

on 70cm band..
Ham radio is NOT Primary..
Government is Primary ..

Now if you get that on say 2 meters..
Different Story

Are you Sure it is a Business..
Not some sort of police or emergency services..or government services..

on 70cm band..
Ham radio is NOT Primary..
Government is Primary ..

Now if you get that on say 2 meters..
Different Story

If you were replying to me, I say yes. I am positive it is a towing business. One day I heard the owners son talking about how his dad was going to rip him a new one for taking a car to the wrong place or something like that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated