• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"WHEN CB WAS KING" CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE ?

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
im002476rj1.jpg

im002477mx6.jpg

im002478lv2.jpg

im002479es5.jpg

im002480tf3.jpg

God forgive me Chainsawgang , I certainly didn't mean to confuse you :? I can only hope it gets greater later for you. ;)

I like the crystal channel kit installed in this radio. (switches above mic connector)

When I first got into radio, the king of the hill was the Cobra 139 base station. This was a 23 channel radio and one crystal would control 4 channels. You could buy a channel kit that replaced one of these crystals with a bank of crystals and a switch. As you selected a new crystal with the switch, it would give you 4 more channels.

One of these days I'll get a clean Cobra 139 (23 channel) and come across an old crystal kit......just for nostalgia!

Radio at this time does about 4 to 15 with 100% audio AM/SSB , but the audio is or seems so different then other radios that are not crystal controlled. Very big and full sounding audio with a slight touch of bass so to speak , very nice ,one of those radios you hear from time to time and you just have to ask the guy what he's talking on ? (Old style D-104 or Turner 2s match up very nicely on these) wish I could tell you more but honestly don't have much understanding on these radios.The radio goes above and below channels 1 and 40 with the extra cystal board with a fairly large slider. You ever get that 139 MC , let me know , I do believe I have a kit you might be looking for. Back in the 80s I grew up on a Cobra 85 Dynascan , had the same RCA plug in the back for Ex.Speak , it had been modded so you could plug in extra crystals for lower channels below 1 , that radio also did 4 to 15 with the same kind of audio but it was AM only , talked all over the world on that one. Those were the days. ;)

man, those old radios must've been a b!tch to work on.
so crowded!

am i missing something?
i saw an AM/LSB/USB switch, but no clarifier knob.

switch mentioned something about a "fairly large slider", but i do not see what he was referring to in the pics.
hmmm...

cool old radio though.
loosecannon

And Back when they built the 23 Ch SSb rigs, the clarifier moved Tx and Rx from the Factory. I had a Midland 13-895, it was a mobile with a Power supply built into the bottom of the radio, Talk about crowded! Yes it was in a mobile case, It just had a "large Hump" on the back half of the radio, were they packed a transformer, and the rest into it.
This radio had an similar chassis to the Cobra 138/139 radios, 1306 driver/1307 final. My Midland sold for over $300.00 new.
Them was the days.......

Jeff

This is no flame on the vintage radio guys.

I had a friend (RIP) that had a Browning in the late 70's. It was great, and I wished I had one like his. We would go outside the 23 channels( I had a Lafayette with crystal TX, VFO RX) and have a ball. The SSB was great and we could TX and RX on different frequencies, much to the frustration of our peers.

That said, a modded Grant XL or 2000 would smoke those old radios.

A new Icom or other amature radio is far beyond any of the old gear. It takes more study to just operate a contemporary radio than to pass the test to get the license to gain privlages to use them.

Good old stuff, but I preferr the new junk. :D

Alot of those old 23 channel xtal rigs are still great.... great recieve... decent power.. modulation.... and about 2 pounds of solder LOL.
The recieve on some of those old rigs really surprised me.

Everything from the board, resistors and components in general were built solid and could take a pounding.

Corsair... great pic of that JC Pennies rigs too..... alot of those "Pennies" rigs were great.....they were so modifyable. They are definatly keepers.

I love those old 1307 finals.... I still have a couple around.... wish I had a handfull of them. Usually anytime I get an old rig I check the final... if there is a 1307 in it I take it out immediatly.
They are great for small amps and adding in rf amp sections.

Great post as usuall Switch..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.