• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

When i key up and our blow dryer is plugged into the GFI outlet it loudly buzzes??

Wow thats a lot of strange things. As far as the GFI outlet being old it is not as i have replaced it twice in the last five years. To be honest the original one was about 40 years old when it failed, the second one only lasted less than two years and the current one i installed 6months ago but it test good? Maybe i should not be buying them from Lowes?

Replaced it that many times?

Ouch!

Ok, time to dig deeper, might be a wiring issue within the wall.

Does the GFCI have its own breaker back at the box or does it "tie in" to a shared junction box that branches from there?

Why do I ask?

You use a CB radio in one outlet, but the Hair Dryer in another(? Outlet) that uses that same circuit - causes a buzz.

Might indicate an open circuit wire - ground or neutral - or even reversed Hot/Neutral - causing another type of electrocution hazard.

The power supply or case of the radio may become live.

Replaced it that many times?

Ouch!

Ok, time to dig deeper, might be a wiring issue within the wall.

Does the GFCI have its own breaker back at the box or does it "tie in" to a shared junction box that branches from there?

Why do I ask?

You use a CB radio in one outlet, but the Hair Dryer in another(? Outlet) that uses that same circuit - causes a buzz.

Might indicate an open circuit wire - ground or neutral - or even reversed Hot/Neutral - causing another type of electrocution hazard.

The power supply or case of the radio may become live.
Good thought!
It ties into the Master bedroom and the master bathroom. I know these for Sure.
As far as the other outlet i tried it on im not sure? I hope not but i will check it tonight and report back. Thank you

Purchase: Leviton or Hubbel; brands only.
Then buy only HOSPITAL GRADE rated, much better built.
I say the same for any receptacle used in radio room/bathroom/kitchen counter whether GFCI or standard use.... Hospital grades are much better, one has to only look at a "spec or economy" grade receptacle next to Hospital grade to see how much better they are produced.
All the Best
Gary

PS: Yes, many times in homes where GFCI receptacles are used, you have a "Master/Slave" type hook-up used.

I have seen many, many times where a Bathroom GFCI is used
as control for outside receptacle. Kitchen GFCI used for Master for slop sink receptacle in garage...etc... Thus when "Master:" trips or goes bad, another receptacle(s) quits working also:mad:
Even the best quality GFCI can be RFI sensitive... then add all the wiring back to panel or to a "slave" receptacle and thus :mad: you have a HUGE receive antenna connected to those outlets.

I had the same issue with 4 element direct feed 11 meter yagi, horizontal. I made a1:1 balun, no more chattering hair dryer plug. It was loud as hell. Only on the yagi. Vertical 5/8 was fine.
I have not tried that yet BUT...I will. Thank you! you are the first person who has also had this lovely experience!

A few nights ago I was talking AM on 27.355 to some of the local radio guys. My radio gear is in the basement directly under the master bedroom.

Wife came downstairs and said “I hear you talking on the radio in bedroom”. I told her to cut it off and she told me it was not turned on. She turned radio on and said “I can hear you better…I mean worse!”.

I found a coax connector that was not screwed on tight. Fixed that and problem stopped.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.