• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

where are all the new radio's

If i had a choice of a new export radio over a old 20 to 30 yr old hf rig,would take the old hf rig.Hands down.I live next to a big CBer and even a bigger one a hlaf mile away.And never hear anyone scratching me on 10mtrs or 12mtrs since i got the new ft450d with dsp.They ate me alive with a rci2950dx or the mag257.I have a 30 yr old ts520 kenwood and they dont bother it.Its on 24/7.

I would have to agree with this. Most of the ssb cb ops that I have heard are using rigs like this. And I also think a big reason is that these new "export" rigs are so unreliable that most of which are not worth the money. Extreemely noisy front ends, sensitive output sections, overly compilcated cheaply made SMD chassis...Eye candy clutter..etc. it just makes better sense to use a ham rig for ssb use....Now for Am use any of the newer export radio's will surfice where their true performance is just subjective opinion at best.

this IS exactly right.if i could buy a new hf rig without a ticket i would .and i wouldnt
think twice about it

I would have to get my ham ticket if I were to buy such radios. To use a Ham radio on 11 meters is like getting a Ferrari and having a potholed,muddy,unpaved,thirty foot long street to drive it on.

Reactions: 1 person
If you think about it,they are better radios,and hear and transmit better.I ran a new ts520 from 1973 or so till 2002 on 27395lsb.And most of the time ran about 35 to 50 pep,and never had tvi or any complaints.So if you want a good signal,and not have any problem,get a hf rig.And later if you want,get the lic.73 de n0zna

Reactions: 1 person
There was a short period when AES required a license when ordering 2950's. Not sure if all stores asked. Universal Radio used to ask for your callsign when ordering big power supplies. They still require a license for 10 meter mods on amps.

Reactions: 2 people
There was a short period when AES required a license when ordering 2950's. Not sure if all stores asked. Universal Radio used to ask for your callsign when ordering big power supplies. They still require a license for 10 meter mods on amps.

exactly. ive buy alot from universal. coax,jumpers,meters, pl259s ,ect . never tried a radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.