• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

where are all the new radio's

I have to admit I'm a little lost, here (okay, maybe a lot): While a license is required to transmit on amateur/professional-band frequencies, it isn't required for listening in on those frequencies. In fact, IIRC, there's an FCC provision in place that allows American citizens to "listen" to all frequencies within those regulated by the US.

So why would a store that sells HF/VHF/UHF transceivers require proof of a license in order to complete a sale? A license is a requirement for transmitting, not receiving.

A certain guy, who has been retired from the FCC for several years now, used to put pressure on the shops not to sell Amateur equipment unless the buyers had a license. He is also the same one that put pressure on eBay to remove ads for radios, amps, etc. Since he retired, things have opened up a little since most of the other people in the FCC don't care about CB or Amateur services.

I have to admit I'm a little lost, here (okay, maybe a lot): While a license is required to transmit on amateur/professional-band frequencies, it isn't required for listening in on those frequencies. In fact, IIRC, there's an FCC provision in place that allows American citizens to "listen" to all frequencies within those regulated by the US.

So why would a store that sells HF/VHF/UHF transceivers require proof of a license in order to complete a sale? A license is a requirement for transmitting, not receiving.

Or what about a wife buying a new rig for her licensed husband? (Wishful thinking here) ;) I'm with Jeff on this... nobody ever asked me for a license when I bought amateur equipment. RF Parts, Universal Radio, Gigaparts, HRO, etc.

RT307

Some places do ask for a valid call when ordering anything. I have orderd alot of things from Universal radio, HRO, AES, and a few others. I guess it depends on who you talk with at the time you place an order.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.