• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where are the cobra fm cb radios?

CB is a dead hobby with zero advancement. The market is no longer there to support innovation outsoft of what is being product overseas and those radios are just rebranding of the same chassis. Cell phones and the internet killed 11 meters, your best bet is buy the old stuff and forget about FM.
Then why bother with the petition to allow FM? Cobra must have thought there enough life left in the market to go to the effort to file. Now, they may have changed their minds in the meantime, as evidenced by the total lack of the mode they championed in their current lineup. But I'm pretty sure they didn't do it to help President. Which it did because President is selling AM/FM radios in the US now.

Screw legal 4/12 watt 40 channels CB's. What a joke. Get a solid export or just do the smart thing and get a ham rig. There are plenty of them on the market that sound fine on AM and most all have 100 watts on FM & SSB. Always plenty of reasonable deal to be had on used ones.
Enlighten us, why are type accepted cb radios "a joke" and export radios "solid"?

• Haha
Reactions: Rwb
I have a stock cobra 138xlr in the car with a little help behind it and can talk 40+ miles. I like low drive stuff. dont get me wrong I like exports but not the ones being sold today. I have made many international dx contacts with austraila and brazil on my channel moded washington. Many 40 channel cb rigs sound much better on ssb than the icoms and yeasues (not kenwoods ). I am going to tak my ham test saturday but I will never trash cb comunication equipment. I poped the finals on my lincoln 2 and I wont even miss it while waiting on the RF24ZXs.
I think am going to trade the lincoln towards a d201 hard wire lol.

• Wow
I have a stock cobra 138xlr in the car with a little help behind it and can talk 40+ miles. I like low drive stuff. dont get me wrong I like exports but not the ones being sold today. I have made many international dx contacts with austraila and brazil on my channel moded washington. Many 40 channel cb rigs sound much better on ssb than the icoms and yeasues (not kenwoods ). I am going to tak my ham test saturday but I will never trash cb comunication equipment. I poped the finals on my lincoln 2 and I wont even miss it while waiting on the RF24ZXs.
I think am going to trade the lincoln towards a d201 hard wire lol.
7f162dc0345b328e2dc0a7ea5e015e2f.jpg

• Haha
I called Cobra this morning, well I called Cedar Electronics because that is now who Cobra is and talked to the nice lady.
Result of the conversation is that she is not aware of any new AM/FM cobra branded radios at this time.
I brought up that President has a couple radios out already, that got a uncomfortably long pause on the line, with a repeat about she knows of no new radios being built with FM.
There you go.

Jeff

I called Cobra this morning, well I called Cedar Electronics because that is now who Cobra is and talked to the nice lady.
Result of the conversation is that she is not aware of any new AM/FM cobra branded radios at this time.
I brought up that President has a couple radios out already, that got a uncomfortably long pause on the line, with a repeat about she knows of no new radios being built with FM.
There you go.

Jeff
Makes you wonder why Cobra put in the effort then in the first place to get FM added to the CB Band ,it would have made more sense had they had a plan to bring out new radios in the near future afterwards with FM added,etc and be the first supplier,builder....but now it sounds like from your phone call and the reply so to speak,that maybe they were never planning too?? Or I'm I looking at this all wrong???

Makes you wonder why Cobra put in the effort then in the first place to get FM added to the CB Band ,it would have made more sense had they had a plan to bring out new radios in the near future afterwards with FM added,etc and be the first supplier,builder....but now it sounds like from your phone call and the reply so to speak,that maybe they were never planning too?? Or I'm I looking at this all wrong???
I think at the time they were interested but the wheels at the FCC turn so slow that by the time it got approval enthusiasm may have dropped.
President has a advantage, they have been in "multi-norm" production with various builders for a long time.
This gives them a few radio models already built that they can tweak for the US market rather easily.
Cobra has changed a lot since the Dynascan days, it's not as big as President and associated brands now.

Jeff

I think at the time they were interested but the wheels at the FCC turn so slow that by the time it got approval enthusiasm may have dropped.
President has a advantage, they have been in "multi-norm" production with various builders for a long time.
This gives them a few radio models already built that they can tweak for the US market rather easily.
Cobra has changed a lot since the Dynascan days, it's not as big as President and associated brands now.

Jeff
Makes sense, Good Point!!
Steve

There is a possibility that Cobra, did indeed push for FM, but maybe they are being impeded by all of the shortages of components in the electronics market.
Good point, however wouldn't that also have affected the President CB radio from doing the same thing,yet they have their line of am/FM of CB radios out for sale already,etc... just wondering.........

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.