• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where in the world is... HardDrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Sunday afternoon I was sitting in the shop and thumbing the channels on the ole CB.

Stopped on 19, naturally, cause I is a truck driving steering wheel holder. And who did my ears hear...the pay attention guy!

He was pretty clear, signal wasn’t super strong and booming but I had absolutely no trouble hearing him. He said he was in New Mexico, about 20 miles north of the border.

So is that where his shop is at? I thought he was traveling in his Griswold Truckster towing a mobile CB repair command unit.

I then lost interest pretty quick because all I could picture was Tommy Chong talking on a CB. Found Jesse James and the gang on 40 in Cabot Arkansas and chatted with him for a few minutes.

It was definitely skip. A barefoot Connex and an A99 @ 50ft didn’t do it any other way.

Where have you heard Tommy at?

I’ve heard him from 200 to nearly 2000-miles away the past few years.

Unfortunately, I can also hear some of the jerks with skip rolling. He isn’t.

His sign-offs may be the same each time, but so is Nancy Sinatra’s. Both are well-chosen.

Yeah I saw a video the other day where he put those sorry ass 2030’s in a radio. It annoys me how he doesn’t show his meter unless it’s tilted sideways or something. By now I figured he would know how to work his camera or phone. No.

I’ll say it again, he sounded good but so does FM stereo. I don’t know what they are running and don’t know what he was running either.

Least he’s not douching radios out...

Yeah I saw a video the other day where he put those sorry ass 2030’s in a radio. It annoys me how he doesn’t show his meter unless it’s tilted sideways or something. By now I figured he would know how to work his camera or phone. No.
He relies quite often on parallax error to occlude what he is doing.
He knows how to work the camera. He cuts the sides off intentionally.
If you can't see it you can't replicate it. Listen for the Tek scope click.
It will happen at seemingly odd points. You draw your own conclusion.
I sat in front of a 2465 for over a decade so I know that click.

Least he’s not douching radios out...

This is true. That's some of the craziest stuff I have seen.
Done properly it's a great idea.

Edit: I also want to add regarding the videos..
He has uploaded some videos that were not cut off and those are the "Accidents" because he takes them down usually within minutes.
If you measure the black areas between videos they are on occasion different.
He makes it look like a phone recording but a phone does not have optics that sound like that.
You can hear the drivetrain in the optics and the iris if you listen carefully.

So, it's definitely a camera. Not a phone.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I think money would be better spent experimenting with microphones because everyone has a different voice.
With a properly tuned radio and a decent microphone it doesn't matter whose voice is speaking into the microphone. All the voices will sound exactly like the original voice regardless of what that voice sounds like. If the radio is incapable of reproducing The Sounds fed into it then you might need some magical microphone that filters out the tones the transceiver is unable to reproduce accurately. This is precisely why a lot of people like the Astatic 575 M6.
If we eliminate the Distortion from the transmitter itself then you wouldn't need a special microphone to sound good.

Lets beat the shit out of this topic...…………………………..
With a properly tuned radio and a decent microphone it doesn't matter whose voice is speaking into the microphone. All the voices will sound exactly like the original voice regardless of what that voice sounds like. If the radio is incapable of reproducing The Sounds fed into it then you might need some magical microphone that filters out the tones the transceiver is unable to reproduce accurately. This is precisely why a lot of people like the Astatic 575 M6.
If we eliminate the Distortion from the transmitter itself then you wouldn't need a special microphone to sound good.
View attachment 25686

I see Rabbi is getting windows paint out and creating graphics to once again try to insult and demean someone else that's not even mentioned here.
I want to see your FAO Schwarz level gear rabbi. And include Fine Tunes as well.

Lest we even get into how much more you can do with what's in the image you display than your boss at Fine Tune has.

I see Rabbi is getting windows paint out and creating graphics to once again try to insult and demean someone else that's not even mentioned here.
I want to see your FAO Schwarz level gear rabbi. And include Fine Tunes as well.

Lest we even get into how much more you can do with what's in the image you display than your boss at Fine Tune has.
According to the person who made this video and deliberately kept it concealed from you because he was ashamed of it, he specifically mentions Distortion as being a good thing. He also blames the microphone for not sounding good because he does not comprehend that Distortion of the modulated carrier induces lack of performance and drastically decreases fidelity. It basically says as much in his own words without me having to speak for him and I have a copy of his video if you'd like to see it. Distortion is always a bad thing regardless of how many people try to justify its existence.

Distortion isn't something you can get rid of. You can reduce it, not get rid of it.
I am feeling generous. Show me the video and if it's BS I will call it as such.

Is distortion a "good thing"? in some circles, yes. The audiophool communities do like some distortion but that's a whole other subject.

I believe I missed the sign off

It’s nothing unusual, on the one hand. Hear the same regularly from other drivers. Be careful, etc. On the other it’s that he makes a point of it . . a note of grace.

He also garners thanks from buyers over air. Mobile. Who also sound great.

Again, COMPARED TO the idiots also on air crowding 19, he comes off well. Very well. (There are others a pleasure to listen along with).

This thread was about reception over air of HD.

Now,

Y’all can re-hash what you’ve already gone thru vis-a-vis what is or isn’t being done tech-wise. Thought that was covered in earlier threads.

Now it’s personal? Ex-cult members or something (ha!)

“That cult in New Mexico”, does have a whole, “de-programmers needed”, 1970s ring to it.

Y’all certificated? Is it a Bronson or a Billy Jack movie?

Distortion isn't something you can get rid of
That's true if all you know how to do is turn screws. That's where some engineering comes in handy. Definitely not a 20-minute tuning procedure to fix that problem hence higher labor costs.
"Romper Room Radio Repair"
Really dude?
When you can hear drastic Distortion regardless of microphones and then you hear a guy blaming a microphone for the distortion when the Distortion is obviously coming from the radio itself that's definitely Romper Room stuff right there.
Especially when he says the Distortion is so small it's not detectable by the human ear when it's obviously detectable by the human ear.

View attachment 25686

Whatever works for you. Your mind is made up about certain things and you don't understand enough about the subject to have a productive conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated