• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where would Ham radio be without CB?

fasteddy

Apr 5, 2005
Just a little question to ponder. My opinion is that without CB Ham radio would not be nearly as popular as it is. Many many Hams get there start in CB, maybe move into freebanding, then decide to get the ticket. I've done a lot of reading on QRZ and it makes me sick to hear some of the things that are said about CB and freebanders. I am a Ham and I don't feel that I am any better because I have a license. I do know that the little group (and I do mean little) of Hams on QRZ don't represnt all of Ham radio, but they seem to be very vocal.

If the FCC didn't intend for CB to become a POOR mans hobby, then why in the world did they put it in the 27 Mhz spectrum knowing full well what happens in the peak of the solar cycle. Maybe they knew that the serious (meaning one who never smiles?) radio nut would strive to get his/her license and keep the Ham radio alive.

Now with all the talk of dropping the code and possiby restructering some of the bands some Hams are all up in arms that the FCC is going to turn lose the CB crowd into ham radio. Same thing was said when the code requirement was dropped for the Tech ticket. Did VHF and UHF got to hell in a handbasket? I think not. There are now more repeater systems that ever to keep pace with a growing number of Tech licensee's and what better for dealing with local emergencys than a local repeater?

Maybe I am ranting, but it really bothers me when I hear that CB'ers and their radio lingo ane ruining Ham radio, when I think that if it weren't for CB there wouldn't be much Ham radio to have. I don't talk any different on the Ham bands than I do on 27.385 LSB. I mean it ain't my CB lingo, I'm just plain country folk, thats all.

73's

fasteddy

P.S. This is not intended to start the CB Vs Ham at all. just a little reflection from a Ham and a freebander.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=fasteddy@worldwidecbradioclub>fasteddy</A> at: 2/29/04 8:23 am

Ham Radio would have all but died.

CB radio operators have gone to ham to escape the noise and foul language and also explore the electronics area of radio.

Some of my friends even restore antique radios.

bob2.gif
</p>

Not starting an argument, but isn't the "10 Codes" a universal reply code for all radio operations. Isn,t that why police, fire, civil enities, and others use it. It is recognised world wide.

10-4

The Peddler...

Website</p>

The "Q" codes were designed for CW not phone or voice. According to ARRL's book"Now Your Talking", Q codes should be avoided on voice. With that being said why not a 10 code?

The Peddler...

Website</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>Besides the 10 code would be a real PITA to send via CW.<hr></blockquote>

Everything is a PITA to send via CW...
laugh.gif

Moleculo

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.