• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which antenna?

bjpell

Supporting Member
Jan 11, 2009
Which one would you get as mag mount antenna to use between 2 cars on the occasional road trip for a VX-8R Ht. I think I have 5w on 70cm so that is prob the most important band along with the repeaters on it.

Comet M-24M Mobile Antenna M24M

or

Diamond MR77 Dual Band Mobile Antenna

I don't know about the build quality of the two. This is the first antenna I will be buying as I'm new to the hobby. But, the gain on 70cm is slightly better with the comet then diamond, but I hear many rave over diamond brand for other ht antennas. So which would you get?

There is no practical difference between the two. If there isn't much difference in price, I'd get the one I liked best. Your choice.
- 'Doc

Neither. If you want something that small, I would get this:

osCMax v2.0 : MFJ-1721 UltraLite 2 Meter Magnet Mount Antenna [13431] - $15.95

It's the same antenna as the ones you posted, only with a rare earth magnet in the base, making the base smaller. It's also a lot cheaper. There are some brands other than MFJ that are the same antenna that you can find at hamfests. I found one recently for $12. If you want something with a lot better gain, I would get a different antenna, but for a quick, cheap, easy way to improve over an HT rubber ducky, this is hard to beat.

It's the same antenna as the ones you posted, only with a rare earth magnet in the base, making the base smaller. It's also a lot cheaper. There are some brands other than MFJ that are the same antenna that you can find at hamfests. I found one recently for $12. If you want something with a lot better gain, I would get a different antenna, but for a quick, cheap, easy way to improve over an HT rubber ducky, this is hard to beat.

Thanks.

That is a decent little antenna but the problem is that the whip is so thin it tends to lay almost horizontal at highway speeds.

As for the differance between the Comet and Diamond antennas in the first post,here is something a lot of folks do not know. Both the Diamond and Comet antennas are made by the same company and as a result quality is the same. I have no problem with them and have owned both Comet and Diamond antennas in the past. (and currently)

That is a decent little antenna but the problem is that the whip is so thin it tends to lay almost horizontal at highway speeds.

You need to slow down to the speed limit, driver. ;)

Larsen makes good antennas as well,I dont know if they make a duel band antenna or not though.

I have a Larsen nmo 150 magnet mount for my 2 meter mobile set up and it is great!! Good swr across the band

If they make a uhf antenna that is half as good as the vhf I have , it is well worth a hard look at.

Most ham radio shops sell Larsen

Larsen makes good antennas as well,I dont know if they make a duel band antenna or not though.

I have a Larsen nmo 150 magnet mount for my 2 meter mobile set up and it is great!! Good swr across the band

If they make a uhf antenna that is half as good as the vhf I have , it is well worth a hard look at.

Most ham radio shops sell Larsen

Without a doubt Larsen makes probably the best antennas out there. Take a look at almost any emergency response vehicle and see what they are running. I'll bet most by far are using Larsen with an NMO mount. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.