• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which big black base should I get?

New 2995 is what we call the "firestarter". Poorly thought-out power amplifier. Serious reliability issues.

A ham HF transceiver for the same money will have SWR protection. The 2995 has the most-primitive SWR alarm there is.

Smoke.

I sure don't need another problem, if I can avoid it one.
What about the Old Saturn Turbo/RCI 2990, if found clean ? I had one years ago, and don't know why I sold it.

Reactions: Tokin
That sounds terrible.
A lot of the older units have already been converted to a switching supply so its pretty easy to to tell before buying and to be honest it's not a huge pain or real expensive to do the conversion. In the older units thats about the only real issue i know of.

Reactions: Keto
A lot of the older units have already been converted to a switching supply so its pretty easy to to tell before buying and to be honest it's not a huge pain or real expensive to do the conversion. In the older units thats about the only real issue i know of.
So if an older one is converted to one of those switching supplies that would take that problem out of the situation?

So if an older one is converted to one of those switching supplies that would take that problem out of the situation?
Yes it should . I have a 2003 2995dx that still has the factory supply and i havent had a problem with it yet but im not going to push it much further. It needs some attention anyhow so its out of line waiting for repairs.

Reactions: Keto
To me better choice be a Stock 2950...and drive a nice SB-220...L4B...AL82 etc... much better choice IMHO...
Those RED HOT radio's with Built-in amps...are disasters waiting to happen $$$$
Yeah, I had good luck with my 2950 until lightning shut it down, which will be another topic for later ( probably already a lot of thread information if I knew where that was)
But I'm trying to get away from using external power supplies. Maybe the one reason I don't like external power supplies is the one I have is noisy

2768-1388537757-8450e335f0a26c652a77a543f97f472d.jpg
I have like 7 HF/VHF radio's running on External Astron Linear supplies...and have run switching supplies. Astron/Diawa/Jetstream...etc...
I however run better quality supplies.
Why would you spend big $$$ on all your radios/amps etc...then look for the CHEAPEST power supply system you can find????:confused::(
Just makes no sense to me:eek::D

I have like 7 HF/VHF radio's running on External Astron Linear supplies...and have run switching supplies. Astron/Diawa/Jetstream...etc...
Why would you spend big $$$ on all your radios/amps etc...then look for the CHEAPEST power supply system you can find????:confused::(
Probably wouldn't

2768-1388537757-8450e335f0a26c652a77a543f97f472d.jpg
So I guess if you pay good money for a decent power supply instead of getting a free one give to you, like me, it would be quite?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.