• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which cap to change on an amp

with the 101e if i set the ic ma as the book says for am no more than 110ma that is 10 watts which gives me the 75 watts dead key on the low side and with modulation talking 110 watts pep is 320 but with my 148 gtl 200-watt dead key talking shy of 300rms at 800+pep but I'll leave as it is and search for like a 2 3-500z amp won't happen until winter time when working overtime
I would look for a amp that will take a bigger dead key. A ft101e is a little too hot for a Palomar 300a in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1iwilly
The main reason you are getting more PEP with the amp on high running the 148 is because with the amp on low side, the 101E is only driving the 4 final tubes with 110-120 watts PEP. With the amp on high driving with the 148, the two driver tubes are hitting the 4 final tubes with 180-200 watts PEP.

Reactions: NZ8N and 1iwilly

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.