• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Echo Board to buy/Use?

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I've worked on a few radios lately from the guys I work with and the last three have had problems with the echo boards causing the radio to make extra buzzing noises, no audio or echo board not work at all. These boards are only a couple years old at the most.

I need to find an echo board that will last and have a good quality echo sound (not the tinny sounding POS I've heard on the air lately that people put in cobras) like the one in the Galaxy and Connex radios or the old style ones with great sounding reverb.

What is the name or number of a quality echo board? I'm wanting to buy a few of them if I can.

Thanks for the help.

RF Limited TRB-1 Turbo Echo Board

another option would be a quality echo mic like the 2018 xtreme . it has the same quality of echo the the TRB-1 board ..bit it adds a high quality mic element and double talk . ive found i prefer a slight double talk effect over the echo option . it also add variable talklback to cobra and uniden radios . it is a power mic and will need a 9 volt battery from time to time but my locals have said its cleaner and more natural sounding than a 636 and 56k as well as my stock uniden mic and the old cobra 5 pin that came with my grant .

all without opening the radio and voiding the warranty .

if i understand you right you can just buy a mic to get the echo sound . if thats right could you post a number for a good place to buy one ive got a cobra 29 . thanks

i just googled the2018ex and got a place called bobs cb shop but he said there on back order and didnt know when they could get them . they had some audio samples on their site for the 2018 VERY COOL ill prob just wait till they get off back order.

Thanks Booty.

TRB-1. I've heard of that one I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure of another one? And I do know about the 2018 mic as I use the xtreme on my base. Sparkys don't have the xtreme any more just the turbo and I don't know much about it or the diff between the two.

Anyone else have another echo board they like that sounds good?

Thanks Booty.

TRB-1. I've heard of that one I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure of another one? And I do know about the 2018 mic as I use the xtreme on my base. Sparkys don't have the xtreme any more just the turbo and I don't know much about it or the diff between the two.

Anyone else have another echo board they like that sounds good?

The echo boards made by RF Limited (2018Xtreme, trb, etc..) have a better freq response due to the fact they use a high-end echo chip. Very clean; not muddy like the Galaxy echos boards - IMO...

I'm writing the FCC a letter demanding that all echo board/echo mic users be required to take a week long course and pass a comprehensive exam before they are allowed to use it on the air.

What do you hope to gain by spending your hard earned money on a echo board/mic? (not directed at the original poster, I know what you hope to gain...$$$ installing the thing)

i just googled the2018ex and got a place called bobs cb shop but he said there on back order and didnt know when they could get them . they had some audio samples on their site for the 2018 VERY COOL ill prob just wait till they get off back order.

try these
copper.com
customcbradio.com
palco.com
h&y electronics .com
ya cant go wrong with the 2018 dont have to mess with the inside of cb
and if ya sell/trade your radio off just unscew the mic and put on next radio

I'm writing the FCC a letter demanding that all echo board/echo mic users be required to take a week long course and pass a comprehensive exam before they are allowed to use it on the air.

What do you hope to gain by spending your hard earned money on a echo board/mic? (not directed at the original poster, I know what you hope to gain...$$$ installing the thing)
Why would you oppose someone spending their hard earned money so they can sound like a complete idiot?

If someone want me to put an echo board in his radio I require them to sit down with me and understand the proper way to set the knobs so it dont sound like s--- or drive people crazy!

Now if they dont pay attention its there own fault.

I agree with the 2018 extreme mics. I own 2 of them now as I just bought another one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.