• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which "High Power" radio

yeticom optima MK3 is another great radio if your ok with 40-50 watts ssb(with variable power to run an amp ok) , I see they just got another batch here in the usa, they are selling them on ebay now cheaper than you could order them right from newzealand with shipping.

That N2 conversion looks good but I wonder how long it will stay together. As for the optima I was hoping to have more power than that. If I can't get a good all in one I guess I will have to just drive an amp. I wish someone would get it together and build a quality unit!

yeticom optima MK3 is another great radio if your ok with 40-50 watts ssb(with variable power to run an amp ok) , I see they just got another batch here in the usa, they are selling them on ebay now cheaper than you could order them right from newzealand with shipping.

Just remember... No stateside warranty on these.

Ok I spent some time looking at the Sryker radios, I like them in a lot of ways but is it just me or are they a little high priced for what you get? I am leaning lately towards getting a magnum 257 and a Texas Star, it sucks to find room for the amp but I am wondering if this isn't the best option.

The current 257's are hit or miss. Most sound unpleasant on SSB. I've had 3 of them. The only one that was good was my early orange faced one. The last 2 were the newer RFX-75 models. They both gave me fits. I'd be hard pressed to buy another one.

I even had a new Omegafarce recently, it was a warbler on SSB as well.

I recently owned and sold a Stryker 955. I didn't care for the noisy receive. Your right, way to much $$$ for what you get.

Last edited:
I would recommend the 2970dxn2 personally. They just work and have circuit improvements that have been implemented over the years.

Ok I spent some time looking at the Sryker radios, I like them in a lot of ways but is it just me or are they a little high priced for what you get? I am leaning lately towards getting a magnum 257 and a Texas Star, it sucks to find room for the amp but I am wondering if this isn't the best option.

Either a Magnum 257HP or an Omegaforce HP teamed up with a TnT 600 would be super. Consider getting the radio from Bob's cb in PA, they are top notch with Magnum radio's. They also helped develope the Top Gun Modulator in these radio's and seem to always get it right. Here is a link to that amplifier.

TNT 600hd

I have considered the ham rigs for what you end up spending for some of these other set ups! I was wondering about the quality of the 257 the only reason I considerd it was the price. If I get a 2950 and amp I could buy a ham rig used.:redface: I guess I am :bdh: here. I guess I will have to go with the N2 and take my chances, or pony up the extra cash for a 2950+amp. I am glad I gave myself some time to research before buying. Thanks guys for the help!

I still say what I said before, and that is the 2970DXN2. I say this because of the commant you made about others besides yourself using the radio. Id you go with a 2950DX and the amp, you are going to have to show your wife how to deal with adjusting drive levels wit hthe amp on or off, hoping that she can turn the amp on, remember to turn it off when needed, overdrive, etc. So I would recommend against the idea of the 2950DX and the amp.

If you have your ham ticket, and she does as well, then sure, so with a small HF rig or one with 2 meters built in as well like an Icom 706MKIIG. Even if you guys don't, you guys could for all intensive purposes install 11 meter antenna for the CB/freeband and use that, but ALSO install a 2 meter antenna cut for MURS, get a small 2 meter cheap radio eventually for the house and set up an antenna for it, modify the radio for MURS as well, and use VHF from the house to the car to keep in touch on FM. Better range vs. 11 meters, more quiet, and easier for her to use.

If the idea of the HF rig scares you, or more in particular, your wife, do what I did years ago before my woman got her license. Just program all settings and power levels, mic settings, frequencies, etc into the memory channels, put it in memory mode for her, and just refer to the settings as "channel 1", "channel 2", etc. So you see, even with an HF rig in the mobile, you can still make it simple for someone who is just learning radio or not too familiar with the operation.

If the idea of that doesn't appeal to you, or is a bit over budget, just get the all in one, no frills, 2970DXN2. They *just work*. Just do the conversion, leave the internal settings alone, unless you get someone who really knows what they are doing, and leave it. It even has the memory functions as well that you can teach her or refer to frequencies that you program in as channels. The only downside vs. the HF rig going the memory programming way of things is that the mic control, RIT, power levels, etc are actual knobs she will have to get used to operating vs. a menu setting you can program in on an HF rig and assign it to that "channel". But other than that, I think for 11meter ONLY work, and if the budget doesn't allow for a full blown HF rig, grab a 2970DXn2.

I know that some people say that the 2970DXn2 have issues, but keep in mind EVERY ONE that I have seen that has issues or has had issues is a result of a "expert" CB shop tech getting in there and not knowing what they are doing. Usually to get more power output without knowing, or understanding what they are doing, resulting in eventual failure. Heck, take an Icom, open it up, crank it up to 200 watts, get long winded, and watch what happens.

The 2970DXn2 is an upgrade in circuitry over the 2950/2970DX (not just the PA (power amplifier) section of the radio) and the DX series was a lot of updates and upgrades over the original 2950/2970 versions which were an update of the 2900 which came out years ago. My point is that it is a tried and true design, and while it is true that the first run of radios in the n2 series did come out from the factory doing more power than they should, the problem was quickly addressed and for a long time has not been an issue.

Rumors take a while to go away. There are some mechanics out there for example that will refuse to use a popular brand of "yellow bottle" motor oil because they say it contains wax and will sludge up an engine, when in fact the formulation was changed in the 70's and is one of the best conventional oils out there to date per a used oil analysis from a lab.

Ultimately its your choice, but I would stay away from the Magnum 257 or the 257HP radios. They make a fun toy, but are purposely built cheap, and while that's not a bad thing for the hobbyist that wants to get on the air cheap and quick and has limited funds, for long term use, and seeing that you have put enough thought into the purchase to warrant making a post, and asking others, tells me you want something worth while that is going to work, and work for a while.

Thanks for your input, and all the reasons you listed were reasons I was leaning towards the N2 in the first place. My wife is fairly competent but the complexity that comes with watching things and being aware while driving an amp worries me a little. Which is why I liked the all in 1 unit. Right now neither of us have our ham ticket but it is something that has been discussed many times and she is not against getting hers. For that reason I like having a competent 10-12 meter radio. Right now I'm just looking for a fairly open free band channel without all the hash that we can talk on together.

That works then! Look at this this way, you'll have all of 10-12, and a pretty good radio after you both get your ticket. Also, in the future, if you guys ever get HF radios with 2 meters built in as well, or even a couple of 2 meters radios opened up for MURS, you will love using VHF for house to car operations, and maybe even get a little local group going. Well, best of luck, and if you do end up getting the N2, just remember good power right from the battery at least 8GA, just get it converted, and no extra NPC junk, swing mods, cranking it all up, etc. The only thing maybe I would recommend is getting the R.I.T. (clarifier) locked in for SSB RX and TX as out of the box it is RX only, but some people prefer to leave it as is. Just depends. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.