• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which "High Power" radio

CowboyCody

KE0DNP
Feb 14, 2012
NW North Dakota
Ok I am starting to tuck money away to buy a new radio this summer. I am looking for an all in one high power SSB unit, I don't have room for an extra amp. My first instinct is to just buy a 2970n2 and be done with it. My only concern is that my wife will use it some and I'm not sure how well she will adjust to the new controls. Right now she finally has gotten used to using the pc122 in the car. I have never used one of these new radios, and the reviews online make them seem real easy to use, but I'm sure they spend some time getting familiar to them first. The only other radio I know of in the same ballpark with different controls is the Galaxy 98vhp but I'm afraid it will drift like a raft. I'm sure there are other choices out there. So for the experts out there, which radio would you recommend without breaking the bank?

Probably something digital and modern would work best. The question is, do you have small children? if so forget it, your best bet something like a Cobra 19 and a small amp.

It's hard to beat the 2970N2 for reliability and stability on SSB. Tried and tested design I've had one for over two years use it daily without a single issue. Punches through on SSB and AM audio isn't bad. Basic controls are easy to learn, much easier than menu driven systems currently seen in newer export radios.

While I have not owned a 2970N2, I have heard a lot of great things about them. Talked to several guys on the air running them, and they loved them. They sounded great, too. The new reversed display is pretty sweet looking, too.

I do own a Stryker 995HPC, and it's a neat rig. I have my gripes about it, mostly noise reduction and adjacent channel rejection. I have found that cranking the RF gain back on this rig is a necessity, as the receiver is extremely sensitive. VERY stable on SSB, does not seem to be bothered by temperature extremes. Gets a lot of compliments for its audio clarity, whether with a stock mic or a Turner RK-56. I do not have mine cranked way up, but it does around 60-80 most of the time when I talk. AM performance is good too, and of course there's echo and roger beeps if you want to do that.

Also have a Magnum OmegaForce S-45HP, and it's been a really fun rig. Not as stable as the Stryker on SSB (only in relation to temperature... if it is cold outside, once warmed up it stays put). Really nice feature are the memory buttons, which can be programmed with different bands and mode. With two clicks, you can go from 27.555 USB to 27.185 AM. Strong output, does about 80 watts AM or SSB. Just like the Stryker, has all the AM goodies if you want to play with them.

Just my 10 cents worth, I hope you pick one you like and will enjoy the most!

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
I just purchased a 2970nn2. I will have to say that in my area in Western NC there isnt a lot of SSB getting in here in the mountains. Most of the talkers on on AM. Unfortunatly the only SSB activity i have picked up has been from Hispanic talking on 10 meter channels.
The people that have talked to me have said that even on AM that i am really loud and are having to cut their radio down when im talking. I am still getting used to it and learning how it works but i am really happy with it. I just purchased a Galaxy 95t which is on the way. I am curious about the differences between the two radios but i will have to say that i am not experiencing any drift at all. Very stable radio and i normally run it with the power turned down as i really havent found anyone that i have talked too that is having any trouble hearing me. I am having no trouble hearing John Denver and a few other power houses out there.

Hope that helps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.