• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Laptop ...

RedRiverII

BANNED
Jan 8, 2022
Being new I noticed that many programs call for a Windows system. Of course I have an Apple which makes me wonder which laptop I should get to run alongside a new radio? I need a new laptop and want to buy the correct one.

For years until I retired I ran only two brands….Dell Latitude or Lenovo Thinkpad. Never had an issue with either one…oh a keyboard went out on a Lenovo once. HP in the past used proprietary hardware so you couldn’t easily upgrade them/repair them. Few people upgrade laptops. They go bad throw them out and get another one. Don’t fret over the specs. If it runs windows 10 or 11 you’re good. I’d only worry about specs if I was doing graphic, audio or video editing of some kind. I ran an Oracle database with 3 instances and needed all the power I could get. I have no doubt a laptop from BestBuy or Walmart would more than fill your needs.

My 10 year old Lenovo still works great

Reactions: secret squirrel
I've run all the major brands. Lately I've been a fanboy of the MS Surface Notebook/Laptops.

As a 35+ year IT guy the brand of laptop means little, I have used Dell, Lenovo, HP, Apple, Acer, Compaq, IBm(before Lenovo made them,), and just any other. The brand that seems to have the least hardware issues are Apple followed by HP. I use a MacBook Pro for most stuff and a Lenovo running Linux for everything else. Set a price and buy at that price.

Reactions: RedRiverII
I just bought the MacBook Pro 16" It seems most programs used by Ham Radios are written for Windows. If a Mac is involved there's always one more step involved in using the program. I always had trouble using stuff designed mainly for Windows and a oh BTW you could use it on Macs as well. I call BS but perhaps I'm wrong. Learn CW windows it is, oh BTW you could add it to a MAC. Hmm, maybe yes maybe no. I figured I'd get a windows laptop to save the dreaded extra step.

I just bought the MacBook Pro 16" It seems most programs used by Ham Radios are written for Windows. If a Mac is involved there's always one more step involved in using the program. I always had trouble using stuff designed mainly for Windows and a oh BTW you could use it on Macs as well. I call BS but perhaps I'm wrong. Learn CW windows it is, oh BTW you could add it to a MAC. Hmm, maybe yes maybe no. I figured I'd get a windows laptop to save the dreaded extra step.
You can always run a virtual copy of windows on a mac.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Hmm, I'm not familiar with the topic. I found a bunch of computers that are refurbished and I'm kinda leaning toward one of those, Thanks. HP8300. Win 10. wifi, 8 ports and plenty of speed for $281. Might go that way and forget the laptop. I've an extra monitor and the HP comes with a keyboard and mouse. 3 month protection and ability to buy more time. I wish I could recall the program that the computers are listed under. I guess not too many folks want the desktops any longer. SFF, small form factor business machines.

OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64/x86_64 - Distro: Debian 7.8 - CPU: 8 x Intel Xeon (3200.000 MHz) - Processes: 204 - Uptime: 77d 23h 5m - Users: 2 - Load Average: 0.53 - Memory Usage: 4024.61MB/32247.37MB (12.48%) - Disk Usage: 2053.54GB/3948.30GB (52.01%)

HP XW8600 , These beasts can be had for very little and are the flexible flyer of the socket 771 platform. I have several configurations ranging from 4 to 8 cores and 32 to 128g of memory. If you are a hobbyist rather than a gamer or performance junkie you can still squeeze a bit of practical performance out of this platform for not much money.

I will admit that I am looking for my next trailing edge platform :)

Last edited:
I lost a whole reply to @kopsicle in which I cried ignorance and hoped for some clarity. It's good in a way to be as dumb as I am in regard to Amateur Radio as it leaves me open to all sorts of learning curves. From wanting to press a PTT and get on with some communications I opened a Pandora's box. It is not with any regret that this happened I am enjoying the challenge. Yes I did finally add some local repeaters on my Yeasu FT60R and can raise contacts readily. I will try and attend that Orlando Hamcation as well as a grand opening of a nearby HamRadioOutlet. I'm thinking on a FTdx10, as well as should I jump straight into a 101D. 991A? For now studying for the Extra and pouring over all the info on building a shack keeps me sane??? or perhaps nuttier. In either case it is enjoyable. Still need a club and an Elmer. Thank you all.

Last edited:
I agree that the add on challenges are a bit too much for me. It is enough of a challenge to get up and running. Well, for now anyway.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated