• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which mobile radios have the best ears?

:)

THis 2950dx-3 with the same antenna i have had for years is fantastic.I can hear 78 miles out and talk that distance barefoot at night on lsb.On am i talk 20 to 40 miles non skip longest contact on am non skip 58 miles to a buddy in the berkshire mountains.When the skip roles in i talk around the world from my antron 99 30 feet up and im in a valley.

I've never seen a radio that's got ears yet,is this a new American thing like audio gain from an antenna.

If your asking which radio has best sensitivity its probably a pointless question as most if not all will drop below the noise floor at 27mhz. Therefore any extra sensitivity is worthless unless you plan using your radio connected to a sign generator instead of an antenna.

What you should be seeking is a radio with good selectivity,good image rejection and a front end that doesn't overload easily,coupled to a high quality antenna system (the real ears of a set up)

You could do a lot worse than a cobra 148 gtl dx/ss360fm/president grant if AM is your thing if 120 channels is sufficient, if you need more then for a slight drop in selectivity/slight gain in sensitivity a president jackson is about as good as it gets in 11m exports,a lincoln/2830/2510/2600 is a good bet if you must have a frequency readout,ss3900's are a good modern choice.

If you just need 40 channels I would search out an old cobra 148 gtl or president grant xl, off the shelf at sensible prices it don't get much better.

Good read...

To me "ears" is a generic term for the quality that radio has for reception of signal with minimum white noise etc.

Reactions: 2 people
I recently, this last Spring, won two AR-3500 on Ebay. Both 35 watt versions, one is like new and totally stock. The other was "peaked and tuned" so it is way off, it also needed new capacitors. After that it is right there with the like new rig!
As far as receive, these are far the best and selective on the 27 mHz band I have heard! Very little images and birdies! With no antenna and at full volume, the receiver is quiet with low background hiss.... with some stronger signals still being heard!
Next I would say the Cobra 148 (not China) and 146! After that the 2510 works well. Some of the newer transceivers like the Magnums have a bit too much microprocessor noise even the Anytone AT-5555. The 5555 works very good but the receive is masked by the CPU noise.
Sometimes I listen on my SONY short wave and transmit on my 148! <can not stand it>

73 mechanic

Reactions: 1 person
best ears?

I haven't have many radios to compare. Maybe some hard data will bring out the winners. Personally,my Galaxy DX-959 has pretty good ears and in a mobile setup with a K40 baseloaded antenna. If someone is running a base station with a little power,good modulation,I can hear them from sixty to seventy miles away. Now if I can just get this receive mod done and have a professional align it. My 959 is only three months old and hasn't been aligned yet. Lack of real cb shops here. . :pop:

I recently, this last Spring, won two AR-3500 on Ebay. Both 35 watt versions, one is like new and totally stock. The other was "peaked and tuned" so it is way off, it also needed new capacitors. After that it is right there with the like new rig!
As far as receive, these are far the best and selective on the 27 mHz band I have heard! Very little images and birdies! With no antenna and at full volume, the receiver is quiet with low background hiss.... with some stronger signals still being heard!
Next I would say the Cobra 148 (not China) and 146! After that the 2510 works well. Some of the newer transceivers like the Magnums have a bit too much microprocessor noise even the Anytone AT-5555. The 5555 works very good but the receive is masked by the CPU noise.
Sometimes I listen on my SONY short wave and transmit on my 148! <can not stand it>

73 mechanic

Of the 10+ AR-3*00 radios I've owned, they were all lacking in the selectivity department.They are/were sensitive receivers but I thought the selectivity sucked ballz.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio