1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Which mobile vehicle model here performs the best?

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Marconi, Oct 7, 2019.

?

Which mobile model would you pick as the best performer?

1. Blazer

5.3%
  2. PU Truck

21.1%
  3. Suburban

63.2%
  4. SUV

10.5%
  1. The DB

The DB Sr. Member

A lot of (if not most) people assume the antenna works with both the bed and cab of a pick up truck. However, when I model a pick up with separate bed and cab (connected by a frame below both) the model seems to treat the bed and cab as two separate units. I'm not saying their isn't any interaction between the two, but the modeling shows any interaction is minor at best. The bed and cab have very little influence on an antenna connected to the other, even if it is right at the back of the cab, or a front corner of the bed where the antenna is right next to the cab.

I don't know of any experiment on an actual pick up truck that confirms/deny's this, so take it as you will.

The DB

Marconi and binrat like this.

2. Recon

Recon NY 881

Thank you for taking time to reply and explain. I had a gut-feeling that the bed and cab do not pair-up to make a good ground plane platform. As it is now where the antenna is mounted on my truck, there is no ground plane platform or do I have one-half of a ground plane platform? If the radio can transmit and receive within a three to five mile distance, I'll accept it. Thanks again!

3. Highway Man

Highway Man Well-Known Member

passenger side rear corner of truck bed works fine. "semi" directional to front left.
    I've had better results there than directly behind cab. Second best only to top dead center on roof.. IMO

hotrod, Slowmover and SIX-SHOOTER like this.
  4. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

Coax length is a MYTH.I use many different lengths of coax for antennas & jumpers & no matter what length I use the SWR does NOT change either direction.There are lots of information on the web about it & I have not seen any proof that it matters & since 1965 I have not had an issue.That includes Amateur bands from 160 meters to 440 mhz & everything in between.

SIX-SHOOTER

Highway Man, S&W357 and Slowmover like this.
  5. Highway Man

Highway Man Well-Known Member

you should let the FTCB guy know this because his O Silly Scope makes funny shapes if its not finely tuned to the exact millimeter.
    I'm not questioning you just just saying. I don't know so it will cost me extra

Woody-202 and SIX-SHOOTER like this.
  6. BammBamm

BammBamm Instigators ...173 on the southside.

Mine was my 2017 Ram king cab. Had a triple mag mount with a Tram tbc9 antenna on the roof...it hit EVERYTHING but it performed well with a 980ssb and a kl203p. RIP Ram as I totaled it and now drive a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander sport.

Slowmover and Shadetree Mechanic like this.

: Modeling