• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Which mobile vehicle model here performs the best?

Which mobile model would you pick as the best performer?

• Total voters
i run a 102 whip with a 6 inch spring on the tool box on my ranger,,,, the top of the spring is about 3 inches below roof line,,,, i get out about 20 miles,,, the blazer i have a wilson 5000 mounted above the dome light area,,, the body has a 2 inch raise kit i dont know if that makes a difference but i get out about 15 miles,,,, now if i juice them up i get out a lot farther,,,,

Eddie, looking at your models, I think the suburban is likely the most accurate model in the bunch. A lack of use-able segments really does hurt when modeling structures like a vehicle.

Not that many people put a full size 1/4 wave on the roof of a P/U truck or SUV. Why not go for a more realistic mounting location like on the rear quarter somewhere or a smaller antenna on the roof?

I've done this. An interesting thing to note on this model. It was a pickup truck model, and like most if not all pick up trucks, the cab and bed are separate items connected via the frame. Any antenna mounted on the bed seemed to mostly ignore the cab, and any antenna mounted on the cab seemed to ignore the bed. Its like they are two completely different and separate items as far as the models were concerned, even though they were connected by the frame.

No matter the corner of the bed of the truck the signal points towards the far corner of the bed, even when the antenna is mounted immediately behind the cab. As far as a smaller antenna mounted on the roof, it has less gain at its peak, but has better onmi performance. I'm pretty sure 4nec2 also showed it to be the more efficient antenna compared to a longer antenna mounted on the bed rail of the truck.

The DB

Reactions: 357magnum
The SUV can’t talk to the other trucks, anyway, because he’s on the wrong channel. :D

You are right dledinger.

I mentioned in the 1st post, that I took these files from old models I had made in the past. I tried to check them all and set them as close to the same details as I could, but I missed the frequency setting at 27.375 for the SUV model. If I had caught that, I would do just like you would do if you replaced your antenna with another...I would check the match and retune as necessary.

I also found an omission I made on the Suburban model too. I did not re-set the segment count for the radiator whip, for wire #2 from 6 segments up to about 20 segments. This fix was necessary to make sure the segment counts per wire were equal to the other models. I will fix that model and re-post the model results. That could change the whole idea here.

This segment length for the wire #2 in this case, the details are noted on the antenna view image at the bottom left hand side of the 1st page for each model. I also noticed I did not get all segment counts set close to equal...as I intended. This could make a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the keen eye and the report.

Per an earlier post, a van should be the most impressive. Least glass, single-unit body, shortest OAL per the roofline (engine recessed).

These days, a Sprinter in longest length. AMAZON is still taking delivery of a huge number for local delivery.

Best compromise as a family vehicle would be the NISSAN NV-2500 with the V8-5.6L (although with full glass). Far better choice than a Suburban as to COG, OAL, cargo capacity, and overhang past axle centers.

Last edited:
Here are the fixed models for the Suburban and the frequency fix for the SUV model. I used all the segments I could and the models show a little improvement.

Attachments

• Mobile modes Fixed.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 7
A few things , Thanks Marconi for the info , you never fail to impress me ! There he is " The DB " I was waiting for his input , another that never fails to impress me !:) I had a 63' Ford Econoline Van growing up in the 70's when Vans were cool & mounted my 102" whip drivers side rear corner as far up as I could get it . People said it looked stupid but back when CB was in it's " Hay Day " I could get out , especially parked near the H2O chatting on my $29 Trc-9 , 3 channel Realistic .:LOL:

I've done this. An interesting thing to note on this model. It was a pickup truck model, and like most if not all pick up trucks, the cab and bed are separate items connected via the frame. Any antenna mounted on the bed seemed to mostly ignore the cab, and any antenna mounted on the cab seemed to ignore the bed. Its like they are two completely different and separate items as far as the models were concerned, even though they were connected by the frame.

DB is right, the difference in the patterns are remarkable. It is surprising, that little gap between the bed and the cab makes so much difference.

That explains why my PU Trucks with the antenna on the roof all seemed much stronger to the front.

Thanks DB.

Here are two models, with the antenna on top of the cab of a typical PU Truck, that might help demonstrate what DB is telling us regarding my Chev PU Truck design.(y)

Attachments

• PU Truck with bed attached vs NOT.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated