• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which one would you choose?

TimmyTheTorch

Dec 11, 2022
Northeast Wisconsin
I have started collecting parts for the next stage of my station build. I am trying to find some stuff used if possible so I am starting looking now instead of waiting another 4 or 5 months. I expect some stuff I'll have to get new. My goal is to have a good DX setup plus a strong local setup. In my past I'm used to just using beams so not having an omni-directional antenna is not something I worry about. I switch radios between a President Lincoln II+ and an Anytone AT-5555N-II that I just picked up to try out. So far I think I still like the President better.

My new station will have a 40 foot tower that supports up to 15 square feet of wind load and a Yaesu rotator that supports about 21 square feet. I haven't decided yet if the tower will be freestanding or guyed, it'll depend on how much $$$ I can scrape together to do it.

I live in NE Wisconsin and we can get temperatures from -20F to 100F with snow, hail, ice, thunderstorms, locusts and just about anything else you can imagine. I don't want an antenna that is overly delicate.

I am currently looking at three different antenna options to put on the 40 foot tower:

1. Maco M104C mounted horizontally on the tower with my Maco V58 mounted above it without the ground planes. Cost estimate is $320 for the M104C and I already own the Maco V58. I only need to buy one more run of good coax (RG-213 or better).

2. Maco Shooting Star on the tower. Cost estimate is $470 plus two runs of good coax (RG-213 or better)

3. Gizmotchy G51 on the tower. Cost estimate is $450 plus two runs of good coax (RG-213 or better)

If I have a Shooting Star or Gizmotchy I would possibly either mount the Maco V58 on a 20 foot pole somewhere a bit away from the beams or maybe just sell it.

Is antenna option 1, 2 or 3 my best bang for the buck? Or is there another good option I am overlooking? I can maybe spend a bit more money to future-proof it a bit more or step up in quality but 30 foot booms etc are not in my future (although I always wanted a 40 foot long Super Laser 500 when I was a kid to go along with the Tram D201A, D104 and a nice big tube amp I also wanted).

Thanks in advance for any advice or personal experience you can share.

Fck local, get real horizontal beam.
No compromise, or you prefer to wipe with glass?
Mike

p.s. gamma match always suck.
I do still want some decent local ability since I am not 100 percent DX-only fixated.

Not sure what is meant by "prefer to wipe with glass". Google didn't help.

I am definitely not limiting myself to these three options. Rather, they are just the ones I know about now and am evaluating. Is there a good commercially available directional antenna available on the market that does not use a gamma match? My knowledge of the technical details of antenna engineering is very limited.

Thanks.

No idea for US market, but in EU most of them are direct feed.
For example: http://gb312.pl/?page_id=1325

cb-5el-26550-27550v2-parametry2.jpg

200$ plus shipping.
Mike

This actually sounds like the coax connection method on a homemade PDL II I made out of wood and wire when I was a teenager. It worked surprisingly well, at least until the woodpeckers had at it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.