• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which radio is a better SSB radio

AE5RD

Reformed CB'er
May 4, 2005
I have a Cobra 146 GTL that I brought back from the dead. It had a bad solder connection at the power switch. It does about 10 watts pep and about 20 watts pep on SSB. Sounds like the regulator could be having some problems, maybe not? I have wired a diesel power mike and get great modulation. My other radio is a Cobra 148 GTL. I also brought it back from the dead. It had intermittant recieve. It was a bad ground at the mike connector. It does 3.5 watts pep on am and about 12 watts on SSB. I can't get any more on AM. Which radio is better? The 148 is a Phillipino radio. Can I get more am and SSB power out of it? and would it make a diffrence? The other thing Is i found a mod to make the 148 work on 10 meters. That would be great. Has anyone done this? Can the 146 work on 10 meters as well? I'm just looking for info. I would like to have a 10 meter capable radio that can also talk on 38 LSB. I emphasis that I want a good sounding SSB sound not garbled or anything like that. If I could make the 148 or the 146 sound like my Yaesu 101e then that would suit me to the T.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.