• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which would you rather have for long distance/skip ?????

omni or beam

• high powered omni

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • low/medium powered beam

Votes: 33 84.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
your favorite omni with a clean 1000 watts pep ??
or...............
a 4 element beam with 200 watts pep ?

with either at the same feed-point height and your choice of H or V polarization .

would your choice change if the beam was kept at 200 watts pep , but the omni was bumped up to 2000 watts ?

I would rather have a stacked 5 element beam 140 ft up with 5 kw of power and a ground plane 3/4 of the way up. I would also like a flat side beam 60 ft up with 50K of power for when DX conditions are in.
I would like blaring loud, great sounding audio.....not the tight or overmodulated crap you hear on channel 6 or 26. I would always love to own a 1970 Hemi Superbird too, but that'll be just as likely to happen as the radio equipment.

I said the beam. A 4 element would have almost the same erp as the higher powered omni but with the ability to reject unwanted signals. You can't work'em if you can't hear'em.
Yap...what Cpt said.

A local here just 1 1/2 miles from me, wanted to put up a beam, I told him a 2 element V quad would work just fine......but of course he can't hear the stations that I hear with my 5 element...but then, that's pretty smart on my part- right!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.