• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

White Space Devices?

If the devices you use meet FCC standards, and if you follow the FCC's regulations concerning this service area, and after filing all the proper forms, then, YES, you can use this 'white space' as unlicensed user! At least, that's the 'take' I got from the news release. On second thought, I may have misstated that slightly. If you manufacture for sale such devices to be used in this area then you have to have FCC approval, in other words a license. If you merely use one of those devices, you don't have to be licensed! The 'catch' is that if there is any interference you have to stop. You won't catch @#$$ for causing that interference, the manufacturers will, but you still can't cause interference so you gotta stop. Can't 'roll your own', in other words, cuz you ain't a licensed manufacturer. Why does that sound a bit familiar? I GOT IT! It's some of that 'Change' crap, right? Go after the 'big boys' not the 'little guys'? Maybe ol'B.O.' ain't as bad as I thought he'd be?
- 'Doc

(now thats disgusting, ain't it?)
(all puns intended)

I seem to be confused, or maybe the article is mixing words?

"The Federal Communications Commission today approved unlicensed wireless devices that operate in the empty "white space" between TV channels. "

If the device is unlicensed...?

I think some of the space is going to be used by Google to offer broadband Internet access, so that means the user would be unlicensed as well...kind of like WiFi. Maybe it will be a new WiMAX infrastructure or something newer (LTE)?

I'll go with what you said.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.