• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who builds small amps that i can contact?

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
I need a 1x2879 class c driver but all the connections i have or know of wont build a 1pill box for some reason. I was going to order a davemede but the website has been down for like 2 weeks now for "updating" so thats a no go. I do not want a hopper built or a carl built. Anyone?

I need a 1x2879 class c driver but all the connections i have or know of wont build a 1pill box for some reason. I was going to order a davemede but the website has been down for like 2 weeks now for "updating" so thats a no go. I do not want a hopper built or a carl built. Anyone?
Try gatekeeper... he's a member here

ive only seen a couple of youtube videos and have never dealt with him but this guy might be able to handle what you want.

(i know the video is about class AB but i thought it would show that he at least seems to know something about what he is doing)

LC

ive only seen a couple of youtube videos and have never dealt with him but this guy might be able to handle what you want.

(i know the video is about class AB but i thought it would show that he at least seems to know something about what he is doing)

LC

I tried to contact him and no reply. I just dont understand why doing business with all these builders is so difficult. Very frustrating.

I tried to contact him and no reply. I just dont understand why doing business with all these builders is so difficult. Very frustrating.
I'll put this into perspective.

I've been a builder and a technician since the 80s. Built and worked on everything from one transistor 30 watt PEP amps back in the 80s to some pretty wild multi tetrode and triode stuff taking 1800 amps from the service drop. So, I deal or have dealt with a lot of people.

I'll give you a 'for instance'. I now live on an island. 4 thousand miles from my family. Whatever. I pretty much keep myself available to old customers and clients even though I don't build anything tube or large solid state just because of shipping.

When my family shows up for 4 to 6 weeks out of the whole year, I go MIA. I tell people I'm going MIA.

One of my clients has messaged me every fu(king day for 6 weeks. You there? You see my text yesterday? Morphs into "Hey, I been texting you, you get my messages"?

Which turned into daily messages on facebook for two weeks.

I have over 100 messages, from one customer.

Now, during this time, I have another customer, haven't worked directly with him since I moved out of the area 20 years ago, but I still make myself available.

As soon as I answer one text, I'll have, literally, 20 more. Then a set of guidelines, I wanna do this, but I don't want to use this tech. Which morphs into 3 or 4 days of me having to argue with the person that while you don't want to use this style of widget, it's the best thing you could use, and the cheapest. So, I'll have another 15 to 30 messages about it. Finally culminating in being told 'ill go to the technology I said I would never use'.

Great.

Now, multiply this by how many stations have I helped set up, across the USA (time zones, ya know. Always nice to be 4 hours ahead of California and have some asshole text me at 8 or 9 oclock their time, when I have to be up in 3 hours to go to a day job), across multiple time zones, etc. and it just gets to be a lot of headache for what?

So I can have to argue with the next newbie that comes down the pike about some channel 19 crap?

So, this is what builders, technicians, etc. have to put up with on a daily basis. When I was actively building, one week my wife kept track of my phone texting and calls. I spent more time on the phone texting and taking phone calls than I actually did building amps. Like, 5 plus hours a day on the phone. I seriously started working half the time and making more money going back to doing my day job.

Future customers. If a tech answers the phone on the first ring, and can always answer you back, constantly, within a few minutes........ Ask yourself, why isn't he building amps or working on radios instead?

Don't get me started on the tire kickers. And then the idiots that make slick videos that get clicks, but can't technician their way out of a Uniden PC33.

If a tech is making 20 hours of slick videos with cool production, Mmm Mmm Mmm bullshit explanations, etc..... But constantly complains that he has a 6 month waiting list, go somewhere else. A good tech doesn't make a lot of videos, etc. I know. I have multiple people asking me to make videos. I don't have the time. And it's sad, because I can get a Galaxy to stop drifting, I can get better than -40 dB on a cobra 29 for intermod, etc. I'd like to teach people, but that time is taken up by phone calls and texts.

I'm not bitching. I'm giving you the reality of your question. This is what it's like for someone who works on equipment nowadays. You asked why a guy doesn't answer the phone for you for a few minute call to answer your questions. Probably because there are 18 other guys that have a question and he's stuck on the phone with someone else.

Anyway, ./end rant.

--Toll_Free

I'll put this into perspective.

I've been a builder and a technician since the 80s. Built and worked on everything from one transistor 30 watt PEP amps back in the 80s to some pretty wild multi tetrode and triode stuff taking 1800 amps from the service drop. So, I deal or have dealt with a lot of people.

I'll give you a 'for instance'. I now live on an island. 4 thousand miles from my family. Whatever. I pretty much keep myself available to old customers and clients even though I don't build anything tube or large solid state just because of shipping.

When my family shows up for 4 to 6 weeks out of the whole year, I go MIA. I tell people I'm going MIA.

One of my clients has messaged me every fu(king day for 6 weeks. You there? You see my text yesterday? Morphs into "Hey, I been texting you, you get my messages"?

Which turned into daily messages on facebook for two weeks.

I have over 100 messages, from one customer.

Now, during this time, I have another customer, haven't worked directly with him since I moved out of the area 20 years ago, but I still make myself available.

As soon as I answer one text, I'll have, literally, 20 more. Then a set of guidelines, I wanna do this, but I don't want to use this tech. Which morphs into 3 or 4 days of me having to argue with the person that while you don't want to use this style of widget, it's the best thing you could use, and the cheapest. So, I'll have another 15 to 30 messages about it. Finally culminating in being told 'ill go to the technology I said I would never use'.

Great.

Now, multiply this by how many stations have I helped set up, across the USA (time zones, ya know. Always nice to be 4 hours ahead of California and have some asshole text me at 8 or 9 oclock their time, when I have to be up in 3 hours to go to a day job), across multiple time zones, etc. and it just gets to be a lot of headache for what?

So I can have to argue with the next newbie that comes down the pike about some channel 19 crap?

So, this is what builders, technicians, etc. have to put up with on a daily basis. When I was actively building, one week my wife kept track of my phone texting and calls. I spent more time on the phone texting and taking phone calls than I actually did building amps. Like, 5 plus hours a day on the phone. I seriously started working half the time and making more money going back to doing my day job.

Future customers. If a tech answers the phone on the first ring, and can always answer you back, constantly, within a few minutes........ Ask yourself, why isn't he building amps or working on radios instead?

Don't get me started on the tire kickers. And then the idiots that make slick videos that get clicks, but can't technician their way out of a Uniden PC33.

If a tech is making 20 hours of slick videos with cool production, Mmm Mmm Mmm bullshit explanations, etc..... But constantly complains that he has a 6 month waiting list, go somewhere else. A good tech doesn't make a lot of videos, etc. I know. I have multiple people asking me to make videos. I don't have the time. And it's sad, because I can get a Galaxy to stop drifting, I can get better than -40 dB on a cobra 29 for intermod, etc. I'd like to teach people, but that time is taken up by phone calls and texts.

I'm not bitching. I'm giving you the reality of your question. This is what it's like for someone who works on equipment nowadays. You asked why a guy doesn't answer the phone for you for a few minute call to answer your questions. Probably because there are 18 other guys that have a question and he's stuck on the phone with someone else.

Anyway, ./end rant.

--Toll_Free
Omg, i had no idea. From now on I will only call them once, and if they dont answer i wont ever call again. I would hate to make them mad and ruin their day because i tried to contact them to make a purchase. Because of your very long comment, I understand now us nobody know nothings must bow down and be humble when we want to purchase a product they are selling. Thank you for your help and great advice, it really helped me out :cautious::cautious:

Reactions: codeman
Omg, i had no idea. From now on I will only call them once, and if they dont answer i wont ever call again. I would hate to make them mad and ruin their day because i tried to contact them to make a purchase. Because of your very long comment, I understand now us nobody know nothings must bow down and be humble when we want to purchase a product they are selling. Thank you for your help and great advice, it really helped me out :cautious::cautious:
Hey man,
I think you took it the wrong way. I don't want to put words in toll frees mouth but I think he meant that because of the overwhelming amount of tire kickers and time wasters which comprise 95% of customers I think he's saying for the top 5% of customers, like you, you might need to be patient and understand the plight of the technician. Believe me, everything toll-free said is true.

I'm nobody. I'm a guy who used to build DC boxes and a couple ac boxes. I got so distracted trying to help everyone, trying to learn new shit, and of course arguing on the internet . All that on top of working a real job, and a wife and family.
Everybody wants help. Nobody really wants to spend any money. And of course you will develop lots of friends that will expect things for free.
I got so frustrated with the business that I finally literally dropped the soldering iron and walked away for about 12 years. I just came back on thisforum and my buddy convinced me to start making some tube amplifiers. Without allowing myself to be distracted by phone calls and text messages etc. Etc. I was able to build I think 9 amplifiers in the last 5 months and to be honest I could have built even more quicker had I had more access to parts. So then I started posting some videos on YouTube. I started giving out my email. I also went on Facebook and posted a couple videos at all. My friends urging. This leads to countless countless countless emails and text messages. Literally all day long. Just what toll-free describes. I'll put up a box, let's say a single tube. 3500z. And I say hey! Here's a single tube 3500z for sale. Please buy it. So what happens? I get 76 emails asking me if I can build a 4125A that's grid driven, or a 4CX 1500b, or can I build something that has a built-in driver so they can run it with their Robin 23 channel radio, can I tune up their Cobra 148 to match this driver that they got from their grandfather that has some weird transistor that's broken and it only needs a keying circuit,... Dude you literally had no idea what it's like. I mean it's a hobby for me and I make a few bucks on it and it's an artistic outlet. But man 99% of the customers are very difficult to deal with. I had one guy send me five nasty voicemails inside of 12 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. I can show you the screenshots. I didn't respond to this guy within 12 minutes of his first call and he felt like he needed to leave me two extra messages complaining . Worst thing about it is it's actually a local that I sort of know that I met a long time ago. I didn't have any problem with the guy but you know what. I don't want the problem now. So now this guy's blowing my phone up saying that he's going to show up at my house with cash and he's buying a box and blah blah blah. I don't want his money. I don't want anything to do with this guy. I don't care if he shows up but twice the amount of money I'm not selling him an amplifier. This is the life of the amplifier builder. It's a very tough life. Please be patient with us lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated