• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who here dreams of owning this antenna

"Made of aircraft alloy 6063-T5 aluminum tubing with .050" wall thickness"

no,
anything lower grade than 6063-t832 x .058" wall DRAWN tube for 10mtrs & lower won't stand our weather = worthless to me,

maco/gizmo are made from aircraft grade cheese.

Reactions: 1 person
"Made of aircraft alloy 6063-T5 aluminum tubing with .050" wall thickness"

no,
anything lower grade than 6063-t832 x .058" wall DRAWN tube for 10mtrs & lower won't stand our weather = worthless to me,

maco/gizmo are made from aircraft grade cheese.

Thanks for the wisdom!!! (y)

One mans dream is another mans nightmare. Having maintained a tower and much smaller yagi I can't imagine trying to keep that beast in good shape after a few years in the air. 40' boom??

Looks nice. I would get the boom and element truss kits for it. I 'd hate to have one flapping it's wings in the wind like a goose in the loose.

Wonder if one can be tuned for 11 meters?

Last edited:
Comments like the band is too small for that size antenna and money or pointing out amateur antennas is really kinda silly when it's obvious the guy is an 11 meter operator. He did post in the CB section.

On the other hand you could put up an antenna with half the boom length and only be 3db behind the big one. That makes for a lot less wear and tear on the rotor with a wider pattern and less weight. The 3 db is hardly noticeable.

Reactions: 5 people
Comments like the band is too small for that size antenna and money or pointing out amateur antennas is really kinda silly when it's obvious the guy is an 11 meter operator. He did post in the CB section.

My comment was perfectly fine as it was directed at 11 meters. That is still a lot of money for an antenna that will only cover legally 440khz. There are certainly smaller ones that will work just as good for a lot less and take up a lot less real estate.

My pointing to the link was just to be informative in that there are much better options albeit not necessarily for 11 meters.

I knew someone years ago that ran the Wilson Super Laser 500, nearly the same size as the one posted here. He lived on a small lot and when it turned the antenna passed over the roof of the neighbours on both sides. He only had it up high enough so the elements would clear the roof line.

maco tube is soft and extruded like a turd,
its ok for fair weather areas and folk who like fixing broken antennas,

the least i would use is dxengineering .058" wall 6063-t832 drawn tube, the stuff my i-10k is made of,
proven to my satisfaction to handle 100mph+ gusts of wind more than once,

DX Engineering Aluminum Tubing - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

a small step up from 6063-t832 is .058" wall 6061-t6 drawn tube, the stuff my avanti's are made of, the best material ever used in cb antennas afaik,
proven to handle 110mph gusts that broke my guys and snapped the upper 43ft of mast off,

one i have yet to check out personally is the new kid on the block 6082-T6 that vortex use,

Vortex Antenna Systems – Radio Communication Antenna Manufacturer and Supplier of Antenna Hardware

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.